corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Decorating a new house

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Decorating a new house
Colin

User status: Offline
18th Jul 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all at once isnt going to be cheap

Anyone know any good mail order places for the likes of tiles, wooden flooring, blinds etc

Went to B&Q, homebase today for ideas but they charge a fair bit, im hoping to be able to negotiate if im buying in volume.

Were looking at around 3k for floor coverings only
Pop

18th Jul 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same boat. In the process of completely decorating a 3 bed house we have just got the keys to. The good thing is everywhere seems to have a sale on.
NovaGTE2

18th Jul 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly the same as me; wasnt planning on doing it all but got a bit carried away!! One place i found for stainless steel switches was Envirolite on ebay; £200 for the whole house
dannymccann

19th Jul 09 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin make sure you get before and afters please, Ill be in the same boat as you in a year or 2!
Laura

19th Jul 09 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need to move in right away? We were in same boat, no flooring in our house!

Just buy in bits and bobs when there are sales or offers on. We tiled our whole bathroom floor to ceiling at B&Q sale, travertine tiles were 20% off which we normally couldn't have afforded!

Got our travertine border from local ceramic tile warehouse for a total of £101!! sale also.

Didn't buy our carpets from a big company, like carpet right or anything. We got a price for 3 rooms and it was near £2000 for the carpet we wanted!

Got a better carpet from a local fitter and it cost under £800. That was with the top cosi underlay.

If you are in a rush to get in however it can be a difficult as you don't have the luxury to shop around.

[Edited on 19-07-2009 by Laura]
Colin

19th Jul 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Colin make sure you get before and afters please, Ill be in the same boat as you in a year or 2!

Will do
Colin

19th Jul 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laura
Do you need to move in right away? We were in same boat, no flooring in our house!

Just buy in bits and bobs when there are sales or offers on. We tiled our whole bathroom floor to ceiling at B&Q sale, travertine tiles were 20% off which we normally couldn't have afforded!

Got our travertine border from local ceramic tile warehouse for a total of £101!! sale also.

Didn't buy our carpets from a big company, like carpet right or anything. We got a price for 3 rooms and it was near £2000 for the carpet we wanted!

Got a better carpet from a local fitter and it cost under £800. That was with the top cosi underlay.

If you are in a rush to get in however it can be a difficult as you don't have the luxury to shop around.

[Edited on 19-07-2009 by Laura]

Well pretty much, im moving out of current property in 7 weeks, new ones not built until December, so myself & my belongings will be in the way stored at friends and family's until then, so yeah pretty much need to get in asap. We had looked at storage but its £1500 for storage up until xmas

Its concrete floors downstairs so im wanting to get it done straight away.

We'll just have to shop around as best we can. Wheres the ceramic tile warehouse?

[Edited on 19-07-2009 by Colin]
Seany

19th Jul 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drop me a u2u bud when you pick your floors, with a price as I can maybe get it a fair whack cheaper. Only hard wood and laminate though, or square wooden tiles.
A2H GO

19th Jul 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my partner have just bought a new build so are in the same boat however my Alan Sugar attitude got us a fitted alarm, carpets of our choice fitted throughout the whole house and £400 towards our solicitors fees. In this climate with developers so desperate to sell they would be stupid not to give you this sort of thing as part of the deal if you ask.

Dont let them bullshit you into thinking they are really busy and the houses are selling like hotcakes. They told us there was no more negotation yet we still managed to get all of the above.
Colin

19th Jul 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Alan Sugar like attitude got us £38050 off the price of the house + them to pay my conveyancing fee's & home report on my current property (£1k+). There really was no room to start negotiating carpets

We dont want carpets throughout anyway, only to 2 of the bedrooms & stairs.

Ive got the builders upgrade list here & they charge £1500 just to tile the utility room Im planning on tiling the utility, kitchen, family room, main bathroom, ensuite & downstairs WC. Real wood floor to hall, lounge, dining & bedroom 3. I dont want to begin to imagine what they would want to charge to get it how I want it.

A2H GO

19th Jul 09 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
My Alan Sugar like attitude got us £38050 off the price of the house + them to pay my conveyancing fee's & home report on my current property (£1k+). There really was no room to start negotiating carpets

We dont want carpets throughout anyway, only to 2 of the bedrooms & stairs.

Ive got the builders upgrade list here & they charge £1500 just to tile the utility room Im planning on tiling the utility, kitchen, family room, main bathroom, ensuite & downstairs WC. Real wood floor to hall, lounge, dining & bedroom 3. I dont want to begin to imagine what they would want to charge to get it how I want it.

Theres always room. If they knocked you nearly 40k off the house price they the lieklyhood is they WILL include your flooring if you go about asking them in the right way. Have you gone back now since they have agreed all of the above to ask?
Colin

19th Jul 09 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trust me theres not, its all done now anyway deposits been paid, missives to be paid next.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 09 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

back of a truck

I bought 50m2 of hardwood flooring, good stuff about 20mm thick for £400 including fixings and underlay

[Edited on 20-07-2009 by LiVe LeE]
Colin

20th Jul 09 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send your truck over here please!!

Honestly ive never heard of any knock off wooden flooring but i'd be all over that!
RichR
Premium Member

20th Jul 09 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was through a guy at work; actually got just over 50m2 as he gave me 1m2 as a preview.

Only problem was I broke the hinge on on of my A3's back seats as I took it all home from work to the house in that - it weighed s tonne

New Poll