corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Would you like to go to the moon?

Poll: Would you like to go to the moon?
  Yes
  No

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Would you like to go to the moon?
John

User status: Offline
21st Jul 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that many people have been so I'd say it's true without checking.
BluKoo

21st Jul 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm. thats a good point i guess.

I was just thinking how many rockets i've seen blow up (not in person), but i guess none of them have been going to the moon.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

There has never been a fatality flying to the moon, everyone has come back safely

That has to be bullshit...

Nope, in the whole Apollo project there were only three astronauts killed, all of which during a routine test on the launchpad months before the launch was planned for - in which the Apollo1 cockpit burst into flames due to the high levels of oxygen they had in the life support 'air'.

The first trip which was actually intended for man to land on the moon, he did - and the only failure from there on out was Apollo13, which abandoned the mission midflight and came home - all three astronauts alive and well.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Pablo

21st Jul 09 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, but i would prob get bored
Ojc

21st Jul 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, one of the Apollo missions was destroyed on the ground when there was a fire in the lunar modual they were doing tests in on the ground.

They couldn't get them out in time before the fire spread, horrific.
Ojc

21st Jul 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck sake Kyle
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a little reading into it (as you do) because although I was confident on the Apollo program history, I wasn't sure if the USSR had a particularly high fatality rate.

Only one incident has EVER resulted in death whilst in space. 3 Russian cosmonauts undocked from their spacestation and a valve remained open - exposing them to the vacuum of space and killing them. Earth didn't find out until the craft autopiloted down to earth, and the recovery team found the bodies

There have been a shit load of close calls though

One guy was out on the first ever spacewalk - and his suit expanded due to the pressure differences and design faults. He couldn't get back in through the hatch so opened the valve on his suit to let some air out crazy bastard. He survived though, with a nasty case of the bends though!

All other deaths have been during takeoff or re-entry, but never a manned moon mission

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Fuck sake Kyle

sorry, space nerd

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

21st Jul 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the Russians had a NASA budget we'd be much much further forward than we are today.
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If the Russians had a NASA budget we'd be much much further forward than we are today.

Collapse of the USSR was the worst thing to happen to space advancement fullstop.

the US stopped trying once they had 'won' the race, and the remains of the USSR had no choice but to team up with the US (and rest of the world) for the remainder of space development. Big expenditures to the moon have not been needed nor budgeted for ever since. In just over 10 years the human race went from first space orbit to landing on the damn moon, AND coming back. Think what 40 more years of that pace would have done for us.

Mars

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ojc

21st Jul 09 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In step the Chinese.
Jambo

21st Jul 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that it was on its way to the moon as such. But it travelled in the same style, challenger blew up after 30 odd seconds in flight. Everyone obv. Died
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Jul 09 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Not that it was on its way to the moon as such. But it travelled in the same style, challenger blew up after 30 odd seconds in flight. Everyone obv. Died

Challenger was a Shuttle, nothing like what has been used to fly people to the moon.

Shuttles have an added element of danger because they're built to be re-usable, they takeoff and land using the same vessel which demands much more from the structure of the craft.

The Apollo moon missions were all using disposable multistage rockets which essentially uses a different vehicle for each major phase of the missions, the moon lander for example was about as solid as a fiat500 because it would never be required to tackle the physical strains of the earths atmosphere.

The Shuttle has to be powerful / strong enough to take off and leave the atmosphere, maneauverable enough to dock and interact with other craft in space, provide enough space to ferry up cargo and supplies, then have the fuel storage and strength to re-enter the atmosphere - all the while maintaining the aerodynamics to land on a runway. Impressive stuff - but it's a lot to go wrong, and is the exact reason why the shuttle is getting discontinued - and future moon missions slated for 2020 will be reverting to an apollo style disposable rocket.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
andy1868

21st Jul 09 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd like to go, would be a beast
Jambo

21st Jul 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats me told
CorsAsh

21st Jul 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MZNEXrElw
will_doyle
Banned

21st Jul 09 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MZNEXrElw

Cavey

21st Jul 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without a doubt i'd love to go into space, it'd be amazing

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Would you like to go to the moon? 24 database queries in 0.3212411 seconds