corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Took some pics last night in a car park

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Took some pics last night in a car park
Daveskater
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Aug 09 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought I'd give night time pics another go last night, set my camera to ISO 64 (lowest it goes) and all pictures used a 1 second shutter speed. Unfortunately using a compact camera means I can't set the shutter speed, but it usually chooses a good one.

Here is a small selection of the ones I took, post-editing because originally they came out really red for some reason. Photoshop's "Auto Colour" tool ftw

Click the picture for bigger ones

Thought I'd play with this one a bit more

C&C welcome and appreciated Obviously I'm limited with my equipment but I think they came out pretty well for a budget camera (~£100).

And before anyone says about wheels, check my sig

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AndyKent

17th Aug 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really does need a proper SLR to get a much longer shutter speed, but good effort. I don't really like the light closest to the camera to be in frame as it always comes out way too bright. Good effort otherwise
Daveskater
Premium Member

17th Aug 09 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the feedback

I would love to get a D-SLR but am saving for a new car so it's out of the question at the moment.

Good point about the light, it looked ok on the camera but looks really bright once on the PC. Why do camera screens have to be so misleading?

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
andy1868

17th Aug 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell me about it dave, i was out last night taking some pics with my new camera, they looked ace on the camera but i wasn't happy with them on the computer well, i like some, but theres room for improvement

seems like you had a catch 22 though, you needed the extra light due to the limited features you had yet the light in the photo overpowers it alittle

[Edited on 17-08-2009 by andy1868]
AndyKent

17th Aug 09 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other thing I would have done is avoid parking in front of Bensons

Or at least park the other way round so Bensons isn't in the shot
Daveskater
Premium Member

17th Aug 09 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andynumbers: That's exactly it Even in the far away shots it's glaring a bit. For a compact camera I think it's done an ok job, the main reason I got this particular one was because it's 18mm thick so can fit in my pocket during gigs etc and it had fairly good reviews.

AndyKent: Hadn't noticed tbh Always used to it being called Harvey's, didn't know it had changed I'm liking the look of the light right outside Curry's in the background of the third one now I've seen it in the pics Just randomly parked under a lamp post at the time.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Tiger

17th Aug 09 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andy1868
tell me about it dave, i was out last night taking some pics with my new camera, they looked ace on the camera but i wasn't happy with them on the computer well, i like some, but theres room for improvement

seems like you had a catch 22 though, you needed the extra light due to the limited features you had yet the light in the photo overpowers it alittle

[Edited on 17-08-2009 by andy1868]

If your monitor isnt calibrated you would be amazed how different what you see on the monitor is and what others see.
mantamark

17th Aug 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see what the advantage would be of having a longer shutter speed in these pics, nothing is moving?

i like them though, if anything its too long, the lights are burnt out a bit.
AndyKent

17th Aug 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More clarity in the darker areas, better pick-up of colour, less noise etc etc.
andy1868

17th Aug 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uploading afew at the minute for some constructive critiscism tiger, then you can see for yourself
Ben G

17th Aug 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good photos mate.

i tried the same kind of place for my focus with my sony cybershot 7mp thingy and had the same problems as you unfortunately

car looks low though, will look nice with the softstars back on.
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Aug 09 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mantamark
I don't see what the advantage would be of having a longer shutter speed in these pics, nothing is moving?
If you use a shorter shutter speed in dark conditions then it will come out grainy and (I find anyway) a bit fuzzier around the edges. By setting the ISO setting on my camera as low as it goes, it makes the sensor less sensitive to light so it makes it use a longer shutter speed to get better quality without using a flash.
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
good photos mate.

i tried the same kind of place for my focus with my sony cybershot 7mp thingy and had the same problems as you unfortunately

car looks low though, will look nice with the softstars back on.
Cheers Ben Don't get me wrong, cheap compact cameras are good for the odd every day shot and generally having with you now and then and have their place etc, but sometimes a D-SLR really is needed, like in these conditions. Sometimes we just have to make do, eh

You're telling me Hoping that I'll get the magical phone call tomorrow saying "your wheel is ready to be collected" Won't be able to pick it up until Thursday or Friday lunch time or after work Friday because of other commitments, but just knowing it's sat at the garage waiting for me is enough

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Aug 09 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Processed a few more pics tonight as I couldn't really be bothered yesterday Didn't want to colour over the plate because it ruins the effect really, but don't want to not cover it

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Took some pics last night in a car park 25 database queries in 0.0113199 seconds