corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virgin Media internet help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virgin Media internet help.
deano87

User status: Offline
26th Aug 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bare with me on this one.

Right, wired machines. All with 10/100 network cards in, through a 10/100 router and older NTLWorld modem.

We are on the 'L' package, which is up to 10mb.

I was downloading from play.com, getting 100kb/s, which clearly isn't correct.

I phoned up technical support, he told me to plug directly into the machine and then download a free game from VirginMedia.com. I did, and got 200kb/s, so still not right.

Turns out we need a technician, which they are sending out free of charge on Friday, unfortunately I won't be here.

We also get really bad 'outtage'. So after watching 3 films on YouTube, it goes really slow and won't load.

How much of a problem could that be what I'm doing? i.e. machines, router, old modem? Or is this a problem with VirginMedia and the connection from the road to the house?
deano87

26th Aug 09 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I'm getting 35kb/s. We're below dial up speeds

[Edited on 26-08-2009 by deano87]
PaulW

26th Aug 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest, how much data are you roughly downloading over a 3 hour period??
deano87

26th Aug 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nafff all. Only ever surf. Only downloading that ever goes on is YouTube type stuff. Why?

There is definitely not something right. Play.com is continously slow, VirginMedia still at 200kb/s, Avast is taking ages to download the install files, yet 2 speed tests showed between 4 and 6 mb/s, even after having the modem & router off for 5 minutes.
noshua

26th Aug 09 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the power plug on ours was on its way out we'd get really shit speeds (take about a minute to load BBC homepage). Technician came around, plugged a new plug in and it fired straight up.

Probably this.
AndyKent

27th Aug 09 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Pauls getting at is that VM have a policy of capping download speed if you have transferred too much data per day.

For example, our connection at home gets capped if I download more than 1.5GB in any one session (say, 4 hours in the morning). You won't be near that limit though I wouldn't have thought so not likely to be your problem.
Dom

27th Aug 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be anything, or though it's likely that either the modem is shot or you have dodgy SNR/Powerlevels (can check those by logging into the modem via http://192.168.100.1 usr&pwd: root and looking under downstream and upstream sections) in which case they'll either add a attenuator or increase the powerlevels at the green cab or UBR.
Our modem dies usually when it's hot and the sun has heated up the gear in the green cab on the street causing the upstream powerlevels to rocket. As soon as the sun goes, it's fine.

Have a look on www.cableforum.co.uk though or post a thread up there with your modem figures, as there are a load of VM/ex-NTL/ex-Telewest people on there are they'll usually be able to tell you what s wrong

[Edited on 27-08-2009 by Dom]
deano87

27th Aug 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it is a capping problem, because he didn't give that an answer and seemed pretty concerned that it was so slow, hence the tech guy coming out.

Tried downloading another album from Play.com at 6am this morning when their website wouldn't be so busy and it was still at 70kb/s!

Will just have to wait and see. But thanks anyway!
AndyKent

27th Aug 09 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just play.com where you're getting the really slow problems?

Done a speedtest?
deano87

27th Aug 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, not just there.

Speed tests returned results of between 4mb/s and 6mb/s! So something isn't right.
deano87

28th Aug 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well they just came and installed a new modem. Instantly Play.com (needed to download another album) was getting 300-400kb/s. Still not enough busy time of day though I guess.
Dom

28th Aug 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Well they just came and installed a new modem. Instantly Play.com (needed to download another album) was getting 300-400kb/s. Still not enough busy time of day though I guess.

Download something (a large demo) from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ it's hosted within the VM network so it should max out your connect (ie: i'm on 20mb and i get roughly 2.1-2.5mb/s which is right), so in your case you should see 1mb/s or so (i used to hit about 1.2/1.5 when i was on 10mb). If it's still crap then have a look at your modems details (posted info about this above) and go check them out over at cableforum.co.uk and see if the Upstream and Downstream (you can't see the upstream SNR) SNR and Powerlevels are ok - have a look >HERE< (Bedfordshire is the Langley platform).
deano87

1st Sep 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Download something (a large demo) from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ it's hosted within the VM network so it should max out your connect (ie: i'm on 20mb and i get roughly 2.1-2.5mb/s which is right), so in your case you should see 1mb/s or so (i used to hit about 1.2/1.5 when i was on 10mb). If it's still crap then have a look at your modems details (posted info about this above) and go check them out over at cableforum.co.uk and see if the Upstream and Downstream (you can't see the upstream SNR) SNR and Powerlevels are ok - have a look >HERE< (Bedfordshire is the Langley platform).

Mucho-gracias.

How come 20mb/10mb internet has 2mb/s / 1mb/s download speeds? I thought it'd be 20mb/s and 10mb/s?!
Dom

1st Sep 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Mucho-gracias.

How come 20mb/10mb internet has 2mb/s / 1mb/s download speeds? I thought it'd be 20mb/s and 10mb/s?!

i'm quoting megabytes(MB/s) not megabits(Mbps) (byte being larger than a bit) - so 2.5MB/s is bang on 20Mbps (megabits), 10Mbps connection will max out at 1.25MB/s (Mbps/8 = MB/s) etc
deano87

1st Sep 09 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh I see. I thought when advertised broadband was in bytes. That's why I've never got the correlation

And they guy on the Virgin helpline aske me if I was a technician!

New Poll