corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine questions
mmac78

User status: Offline
8th Oct 09 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,
I recently started to notice a little water/oil mixing in my engine of my 1.2 (W reg/2000) corsa. Now I have the gasket kit, and the mechanic is ready to go but we hit a snag.
I went to my local motor factors and asked for a quote on a new cylinder head, and I got a shock when they replied that they didn't actually do them, and that they didn't actually know where I could get one.
So my mechanic done some digging and was told that if the head needs skimming, the engine on mine can't be skimmed as the car can't adjust to the compression ratio? or something to that effect.
A new head from this place he got the info from will cost me £675.00 inc. VAT.
Can anyone advise on where I might be able to get one cheaper, or in fact if the skimming problem exists?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as my head gasket is being replaced Monday.
Best,
Mike.
Ellis

8th Oct 09 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just skim the head, you won't be removing enough metal to adjust the compression - don't panic.
mmac78

8th Oct 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one, thanks for the reply. Hopefully will have it done by Tuesday so will update then
Slammed_Corsa

8th Oct 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the car has not overheated then the head should be fine without skimming. Its usually the overheating that causes the head to warp.

[Edited on 08-10-2009 by Slammed_Corsa]

New Poll