corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » XBOX 360 Laser swap

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author XBOX 360 Laser swap
ajscorsa

User status: Offline
14th Oct 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno if you guys can help.

My Xbox stopped playing games, gave me the disk read error.

So I got a spare benq drive the same as mine off a mate. opened them up and swapped the laser over and the motor which moves the laser up and down into my drive, put everything back together and now it just makes a horrible noise when i eject the tray and it goes back in I get a kind of grinding noise.

anyone got any ideas what I've done wrong?
Dom

14th Oct 09 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm guessing you couldn't have just swapped the whole drive?
But it sounds like you haven't got the gearing mechanism seated properly, i would pull it apart again and have another go.
LukeS

14th Oct 09 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u swap the drives you have to get the firmware or something like that of your current drive and flash it onto the new one. That may be why he's swapping bit. i dunno, i just bought a new console in the end, confused me too much when i tried to do it.

[Edited on 14-10-2009 by LukeS]
ajscorsa

14th Oct 09 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the firmware on the drive is specific to the xbox. i could of swapped the logic board with the firmware on but I cant solder and didnt wanna risk making a mess of it so just swapped the laser.

will open it up tonight see if I can spot anything
Dom

14th Oct 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does swapping the logic boards on the drives require soldering? I thought all of ribbon cables were push-fit?
Although flashing the new drive with the old drives firmware doesn't seem too much of an arse ache, as long as you have a pc with sata >Here<.....
ajscorsa

14th Oct 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the benq ones have wires soldered on to the motor to the logic bored, the rest are just push fit ribbons.
jamied

14th Oct 09 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flashing a drive all depends on what make it is to how easy it is, the older samsung ones are very easy. You would have to read the key off the old one and flash it on the new drive for it to work.

the laser does make a horrible noise if the top of the rom drive is rushed down even slightly, thats probably all it is, mine did this and had read errors and it was just that.
Richie

14th Oct 09 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flashing BenQ drives are a doddle, it's just Liteon's that are a pain as you need to solder a wire or use a probe to dump the bloody thing
ajscorsa

14th Oct 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamied
flashing a drive all depends on what make it is to how easy it is, the older samsung ones are very easy. You would have to read the key off the old one and flash it on the new drive for it to work.

the laser does make a horrible noise if the top of the rom drive is rushed down even slightly, thats probably all it is, mine did this and had read errors and it was just that.

that parts the rom drive? lol I'm a total newb when it comes to things like this.

was also told the rods might not be aligned properly aswell, anyone know how to align them?

New Poll