corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » wireless over cable

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wireless over cable
cunningham

User status: Offline
14th Oct 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i use wireless bt broadband at the moment with a bt home hub 2

i just play games and surf the net, i dont download

how hard is it to put a phone line in a room upstairs? for a cable connection

do these plug things that go into the power socket work for the internet i just want some form of reliablility for connection
oceansoul

14th Oct 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless over cable....i think you need to think a bit about your terminology there hehe But anyway;

You need to run an ethernet cable (not a phone socket) from the back of your home hub to upstairs where ever your computer is. It can either go directly into your computer or you can terminate it into a rj45 outlet theen use a patch lead between the socket and your computer.
cunningham

14th Oct 09 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i seen these plug things that go into the wall socket and you can transfer data in your power lines.

i need that as i dont have an ethernet port or telephone port upstairs

i ment wireless over wired (ie a cable)

[Edited on 14-10-2009 by cunningham]
Dom

14th Oct 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean powerline ethernet?
They work ok, although you never get anywhere near the speeds they quote which is only a problem if you're wanting to transfer data around.
have a look of a few computer shop sites (scan, overclockers, ebuyer etc), pick a few and google them, from what i remember both netgear and linksys are pretty good
oceansoul

14th Oct 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally the router should be connected to the master bt socket (why i dont know). Them power line Ethernet adaptors are good sometimes, but sometimes they only cause problems and are an arse to sort out. Stick to brand names would be my best suggestion, that or ethernet
noshua

14th Oct 09 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be connected to the master socket as this is the one that is wired into the house first, everything else is connected on or though this, thus creating interference amongst other factors which slows down the transfer speed that will be going through the router.

Plug ethernet sockets should be fine for general internet tasks such as browsing etc.
James_DT

14th Oct 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Power over Ethernet here at home. Nothing fancy, I use the ones that came free with my Mum's BT Vision box (which is located next to her router, so she doesn't need it). Use it to get the network from downstairs where the router is to upstairs where my computer is. It's never made the speeds claimed, but it's always been able to cope with everything I've thrown at it including streaming HD video to the 360 downstairs.

New Poll