corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » X14XE Corsa is pinging

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X14XE Corsa is pinging
XozziDK

User status: Offline
30th Oct 09 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just wondering if there was somehow to determinate if its the valves ??

Could it be anything else?

It's hard to describe the sound, and I can't really locate where its comming from, but its a ticking sound thats getting faster when you rev the engine to higher rpm and my best guess would be the valves, but I don't wanna split it all apart if it could be something else.... :/

I tried changing the oil and the filter.

And btw.. It pretty much started after fitting a mantzel replica powerbox

Regards
Rasmus
Richardhhha

30th Oct 09 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick some 97ron fuel and see if it helps.. i have to run mine on shell optimax as the car wont run right and does pink a little with 95 ron fuel
XozziDK

30th Oct 09 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm living in a small country village, and theres quite far to nearest shell etc which shell 97+ octane.. but theres a gas station nearby that sells premium 95.. Will try that instead of the cheaper 95 octane..
Richie

30th Oct 09 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By an Octane/ROD additive..... on a full tank it should take it up to 97-99 ron
XozziDK

30th Oct 09 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That shit is expensive if its something I have to use daily ;OO

Or is it just once?

But anyway my fuel tank is almost empty so I'll try and fill it with some premium 95 fuel and see if they got octane booster at the gas station

but..
Wouldnt a compression test at a workshop show if its the valves?
alan-g-w

30th Oct 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's pinging on 95 RON, the petrol it's meant to run on, surely there's something the matter with it?
Richardhhha

30th Oct 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could just be a build up of crap on the injecteors or the valves, what he forgets to tell us is this engine has done 200,000km so its bound to be full of crap and carbon deposits. My 14xe was a bugger after i put the power any on it, tryed everything, then i had a chat with a work mate who said that you've affected the amount of air flow, so try sticking 97 ron in the thing and see if it stops.. And sure enough after a few tank loads and a few hundred miles the car has run perfect ever since, just sometimes if my parents put fuel in it they put 95 in and the bugger runs like a dog.
XozziDK

2nd Nov 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some ultimate 95, and a bell-add additive cleaning that I threw in the gas tank..

It's still pinging and I tried to check out the fault codes, it's giving me knock sensor, fuel pump relay and egr valve..

But when I was fitting the powerbox I had the errors from the egr and knock sensor comming up, so I think it's just becouse they're not erased yet.

And yeah the car have gone quite some miles, and I'm actually wondering if I should get a new engine from germany, since its damn hard to get any good condition engines here in denmark.

Wednesday I actually got an appointment with a tuning shop to chiptune my car, but I don't know if its a good idea when the car is having theese pinging troubles.. what'cha think? Or do you think maybe chiptuning the car would fix it? I mean it basicly started after fitting the powerbox

[Edited on 02-11-2009 by XozziDK]
XozziDK

2nd Nov 09 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just removed the cat today, and it runs smoother I think.. even though the car drives well and I don't really think it drives bad at all, but it just feels smoother now that the cat is gone.. probably becouse its just another restriction ..

Anyway.. could it be the spark plugs that I changed when fitting the powerbox that's not the right ones for my engine?

Even though I bought it for a corsa 1,4 16v, but maybe the clerk got me the wrong ones..
Richardhhha

3rd Nov 09 at 01:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the old plugs matched on length and thread then they should be ok otherwise check weather they are gapped correctly or evenly..

or it could just be where its old and parts are wearing..

it didnt make this noise before you fitted the power box and changed the plugs did it??

and the tuning shop may be able to tell you whats up.. does the engine warning light come on at all?
XozziDK

3rd Nov 09 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, It ran fine before I started to mess with the intake etc.

But I was struggling alot getting it to run smooth you know.. And when I changed the spark plugs I saw that is was very greasy and such down at the pistons..

And it still runs smooth and nice, but the sound/noise just makes me uncomfortable, as it sure aint good.

And the old spark plugs were black and kindof burnt on the bottom of the porcelain

I was talking to a friend that is a mechanic, and he told me I could try and fill some thicker oil on it - would that probably work? When I changed the filter and oil I used 10w/40 .. should I get 15w/40 or something?
XozziDK

4th Nov 09 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bump!?
XozziDK

5th Nov 09 at 02:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't seem to find the fault, and I don't really wanna mess with the valves myself, so I think I'm gonna get it to the mechanic, as soon as I've tried this one last thing I was recommended from another site.

I was told that hydraulic lifters gather up coke and stuff from the oil, especially if the oil is not changed regulary enough. And 9/10 times its becouse of that the valves start ticking/pinging - and an ordinary oil change will probably not fix it, but using a special additive 10-15 minutes before changing the oil, should work to loosen up the coke and shit inside engine, and most likely fix the problem

So guess I have to do another oil/filter change

And it sounds like it easily could be whats causing me trouble, becouse the oil change I had a week ago was a little late (maybe alot?) as I bought the car 15000 km ago, and I really didnt think about changing the oil before the valves started pinging (and no I don't know when the last oilchange was, when I bought the car, so it could in worst case be pretty fuckin long time ago)

Yea, I know it's stupid, but I usually don't hang around the same car very long, and never really thought much about stuff like changing oil/cambelt etc becouse it's never been necessary.

New Poll