corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Opening a joint account...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opening a joint account...
danward

User status: Offline
15th Nov 09 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay so me and the partner are moving into our first flat soon and we are going to open a joint billing account and use it it purely for that purpose.

My question is: what bank do you guys recommend?

I am with Nationwide and the partner is with Abbey we have both not had problems but we have never really used a billing account.
Colin

15th Nov 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me & jade just got one for the same reason. Got one from Halifax, ultimate reward account. So for £12.50 between us a month we get a load of free stuff like breakdown cover and travel & mobile insurance etc.

They just changed their policy on overdrafts tho so if you use your overdraft then give them a swerve.
Tiger

16th Nov 09 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ex had a joint account with her ex. Ages after they split he wouldnt sign to close it, the bank wouldn't close it without his signature and her address was on the account. She had no idea where he lived and had no contact with him at all. He kept on taking out all the money and maxxed the overdraft and the bank threatened to reposses property, they wouldn't listen to the reasons why. She ended up paying all the overdraft off which cost her a lot just so she could freeze the account which she did. In the end they shut the account down.

My advice is don't get a joint account. Just set one up in your name to pay the bills and get a direct debit from her account to yours each month. Loads less hassle.

[Edited on 16-11-2009 by Tiger]
Simon

16th Nov 09 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously have to be careful for above reasons but I have a joint account with my girlfriend which pays our bills. We just got whatever account Natwest suggested as a joint. The account never has any money in it really because we have it set up so our money goes in a few days before it needs to go out.
Natz

16th Nov 09 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a joint account with my bf for when we brought our house just for bills. I would say Braclays were rated best bank for online security recently, but mine is with Abbey as my mortgage is, no other reason really, although they are fuckers with charges etc, but all banks are as bad as each other.
Colin

16th Nov 09 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im fucked if jade leaves me anyway. In for aa penny in for a pound
Twiggy

16th Nov 09 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are all bastards.....
Sam
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there actually any point in having a joint account for 'bills'? I mean, if everything is coming out by standing order/direct debit, why can't you just pay the bills from your own accounts?

Oh and HOUSE DAY!
JadeM
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well me and Colin both have our own bank accounts that our salaries go into. The joint account is for the running costs of the house. If we didn't have the joint account it would mean some of the house things coming off my account and some of his. I think the joint account is a good thing, we know that ALL the money in there is for the house and the house only And atm its not just for paying direct debits etc, its also for saving for future hoosie stuff

[Edited on 16-11-2009 by JadeM]
Ojc

16th Nov 09 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Natz
I got a joint account with my bf for when we brought our house just for bills. I would say Braclays were rated best bank for online security recently, but mine is with Abbey as my mortgage is, no other reason really, although they are fuckers with charges etc, but all banks are as bad as each other.

Hello you
Daimo B

16th Nov 09 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger

My advice is don't get a joint account. Just set one up in your name to pay the bills and get a direct debit from her account to yours each month. Loads less hassle.

Can't take one instance to cause hassle the rest of your life though......

I've got my own account, as has Donna. We both put in a set sum of money to cover house bills and mortgage. A plain and simple joint account with HSBC.

Neither of us as lame enough to screw each other over if it did go wrong, we still have mutual respect.
BYRON

16th Nov 09 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger

Can't take one instance to cause hassle the rest of your life though......

I've got my own account, as has Donna. We both put in a set sum of money to cover house bills and mortgage. A plain and simple joint account with HSBC.

Neither of us as lame enough to screw each other over if it did go wrong, we still have mutual respect.

Ditto. I think a joint account when home owners is the very first thing you should do. Im with Abbey btw.
Fro

16th Nov 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Me & jade just got one for the same reason. Got one from Halifax, ultimate reward account. So for £12.50 between us a month we get a load of free stuff like breakdown cover and travel & mobile insurance etc.

They just changed their policy on overdrafts tho so if you use your overdraft then give them a swerve.

I wasn't dreaming about the letter i got then £1 a day for being in OD bye bye halifax hello first direct
Sam
Premium Member

16th Nov 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was something about this either on Watchdog or Panorama the other week (can't remember which programme it was).
Nismo

16th Nov 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the missus have a joint account with HSBC (as our bank accounts are with them)

our salaries go into our own account then a standing order goes accross with enough funds to cover all bills and shopping etc...
Tiger

16th Nov 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just open a second personal account, and get money transfered into that, its exactly the same as a joint account without the hassle of ever needing to worry about closing it should it happen. Joint accounts sound like a good idea, but in reality its a gimmick to make you think you're getting something special. If its not, explain the point over a second personal account.....
Simon

16th Nov 09 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One reason we did it, we had heard something about if you ever decide to move and work abroad and want to take the other half with you, you have to prove your a couple and one way is through having had a joint account for a certain amount of time. Something along those lines anyway.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Opening a joint account... 23 database queries in 0.0122371 seconds