corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clear summat up for me

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clear summat up for me
mattk

User status: Offline
1st Dec 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turning the heater up full on an overheating engine cools it down, fact

leaving the heater OFF on a cold engine makes it warm up quicker? I dont think it does

I dont think it makes a difference to the time an engine takes to reach temperature wether the heater is on full or off?
alan-g-w

1st Dec 09 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the only reason it cools down is because it lets water run into a different part of the engine iirc. So assuming that's correct, I can see it taking longer to heat up.
Sportycorsa86

1st Dec 09 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u have heaters on cold then yes the engine will warm up quicker as its not venting off the hot air. same goes i they are on then it will help cool it down
richc

1st Dec 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its water tempreture not 'engine' temp as such

It will warm up quicker as the hot air isnt being taken away in the heat box, its beein recircluated around the system, in turn making it warmer.

In a morning, i will jump in a drive for like 1 mile before i turn the heater on to let the heat get round.

But my car is old, on a newer car they just seem to work after x amount of time no matter what
jr

1st Dec 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt arent you a plumber ?

thermostats etc
richc

1st Dec 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
Matt arent you a plumber ?

thermostats etc

IAN CHANGE THE SNOW MAN
wakey1512

1st Dec 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some basics about cooling systems

the coolant circuit made of the following basic things, is the engine, thermostat, radiator and water pump

when cold, the thermostat is closed and the water can only circulate the engine and the pump. When the engine reaches optimum runnin temp the thermostat will open and allow the water to reach the rad and cool down

this is why leaving the heaters off in the morning makes no difference, however as you said, turning the heaters on when overheating will cool the engine down as the coolant is going to a colder part of the system
Ben G

1st Dec 09 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my engine seems to take longer to heat up in the mornings when the heaters are on full.

don't know if this is to do with the heaters or the fact it's freezing outside.
pow
Premium Member

1st Dec 09 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it is Ben.

I tend to leave the heater off till I get something on the temp gauge
mattk

1st Dec 09 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wakey1512
when cold, the thermostat is closed and the water can only circulate the engine and the pump. When the engine reaches optimum runnin temp the thermostat will open and allow the water to reach the rad and cool down

this is why leaving the heaters off in the morning makes no difference, however as you said, turning the heaters on when overheating will cool the engine down as the coolant is going to a colder part of the system

using my knowledge of heating systems this is what my argument was, wasnt sure if it applied to car cooling systems
Ben G

1st Dec 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Yes it is Ben.

I tend to leave the heater off till I get something on the temp gauge

i try doing that but leather and metal on the steering wheel is not a good feeling at 6am on a freezing cold morning always give up and put the heaters on
pow
Premium Member

1st Dec 09 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find wearing my winter coat then fighting it off at a set of traffic lights just as they go green the way forward tbh )
sand-eel

1st Dec 09 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting the heaters on will make the water heat up slower as the heater fan is blowing cold air through the water fins.
In winter my corsa took ages to heat up properly with the heater fan on.
LeeM

2nd Dec 09 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you turn the heaters on the matrix will fill up, which is in essence a mini rad (which obviously you know as you know it cools down an overheating engine)
so with water going through the matrix and cooling down, it is harder for the engine to reach temp, this is why the radiator has a thermostat to stop water circulating untill its up to temp

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clear summat up for me 23 database queries in 0.0147099 seconds