corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Suspension Top Mount help...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Suspension Top Mount help...
X16XE.Adam

User status: Offline
12th Dec 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I started fitting my new suspension today, done the rears fine.
When i come to the fronts i need to take the top mounts of to put on the new coilovers, however when i undo the middle nut (or the only nut if strut is removed from chassis) it turns the shaft and not un-doing the nut, ive tried to lock the shaft various ways but still no luck.

Has anyone got a simple way of getting these off?

Thanks Adam
Stu_22

12th Dec 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See if you can find a friendly local garage to take it off with a air gun.

If not think there are flats on the top middle you can hold the shaft but its something stupid like 8mm
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Dec 09 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There aren't flats on the front struts, just the rears.

It may be that it's rusted up a bit, have a look over and see what the condition is. Also make sure you use spring compressors because otherwise you'll have a face full of top mount and a long trip to A+E. I used compressors and it still shot the mount up a few inches. If you don't have compressors then you can get then from Screwfix Direct, they were about £14 when I got them.

Anyway, if the nut looks like it's rusted on then pour some vinegar into the little cup thing that the nut sits in and leave it overnight. It worked for me and it was rustier than the Titanic before. Came off straight away.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
barneykarl

13th Dec 09 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be able to get a swan neck ring spanner on the nut first then small socket 8mm ish on to the shaft to hold it while you loosen nut on standard front strut.
Sean-B

13th Dec 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by barneykarl
You should be able to get a swan neck ring spanner on the nut first then small socket 8mm ish on to the shaft to hold it while you loosen nut on standard front strut.

Know a good place I can get a swan neck spanner, halfrauds don't do them
mattcape

13th Dec 09 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by barneykarl

i done this with my fronts and had no problem.. i did soak the top nut/shaft in wd40 for a good half hour.
X16XE.Adam

13th Dec 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replys.
Ive just had another go, i left one mount in wd over night, but they seem to be on there pretty solid. Ive put some vinegar in both cups of the mounts and im going to leave it for a few hours then have another go. The condition of both the mounts are pretty rusty and dirt, so im hoping the vinegar will kill off everything leaving a nice surface and easy to undo

Adam
Fro

13th Dec 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are your top mounts worth reusing?

I bought new ones and bearings when i fitted my coilovers as they can affect handling if they're shagged.
X16XE.Adam

13th Dec 09 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure until i get them off really, they seem fine as they are, no noises/knocks. I can get some off another corsa b from the scrappy for £20, is it worth doing that then?

Adam
Fro

13th Dec 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do decide to change them i'd just buy new ones, they shouldnt be too expensive. See how they are when you get them off
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Dec 09 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got some new mounts from a local motor factors (cost about £50 total) but it was only two parts of it, it didn't come with the little cup thing or the bit that goes inbetween the bit the spring sits in or the main top bit. They also didn't come with the circular rubber bits that go on top of the springs.

It'll be easier if I post pics

What did come in the box is the two bits on the right, minus the rubber bit on the top piece.

This is the part number for the bottom bit, there was nothing at all on the cup so it may come with it, I don't know.

[Edited on 13-12-2009 by Daveskater]

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
X16XE.Adam

13th Dec 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ohhhh right thanks for that Dave, by the sound of it then it would be easier if i could use the front mounts i already have, atleast that way i get all the parts

Adam
Daveskater
Premium Member

14th Dec 09 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my experience you will need to remove your current mounts anyway, but it would be worth checking them over to make sure they're not falling to pieces and make sure the rubber on the top part of the mount hasn't split.

If you think they look remotely dodgy then replace the main parts, because at the end of the day that mount is the only thing holding the strut and therefore the wheel in place!

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
X16XE.Adam

14th Dec 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i managed to get the nut undone atleast, too dark to remove the strut and don't want to lose all the pieces that go with the top mount
If i get time tomorrow i'll take them off and check them over, if they are worn then i will get some new ones

Thanks for your help

Adam

New Poll