corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Forcing a peice of managed software to install last

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Forcing a peice of managed software to install last
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jan 10 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One for you AD Guru's

I would like a piece of software (Microshite Office to be exact!) to install last because otherwise it doens't install correctly. You have to rerun the installed manually to fix the incorrect install otherwise.

Is this possible?
James_DT

25th Jan 10 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure if you could make it work in your deployment, but a package in a higher GPO will install after ones in a lower level GPO.
If they're on the same level, they're supposed to install in the order that the packages were created, but that doesn't always work.
Andrew

25th Jan 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to cause you more issues than it's worth. Personally i'd go around each PC and install. If a massive institution i'd do one floor at a time, possibly even get some overtime out of it.

1. It's a massive program and takes an age to upgrade from 2003.

2. you're going to get users switching off PCs and screwing up the registry when installing no matter how many times you send around an e-mail explaining why it's taking ages to logon or shutdown.

3. all users logging on at the same time, your server is going to become massively under pressure and possibly freeze.
colour_golden

25th Jan 10 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've neer had a problem using GPO to install Office. sure your admin install point is ok?

New Poll