corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra GSI Mk4

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra GSI Mk4
Ash_EP3

User status: Offline
1st Feb 10 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was dead set on getting one of these until I drove the civic...

Out of roughly 10 people I text (who all drive different cars / have different tastes) saying "Civic type r or Astra GSI Turbo" 9/10 replied Civic Type R....

In terms of looks I do like the Astra GSI (especially in arden blue ) although I also love the look of the Civic...

Performance in terms of straight line speed there is nothing in it... handling wise the civic is better and is a better car to drive...

However the 1 person who said get the Astra GSi T said the only reason was because of tuning costs which is understandable...

Like Rob R said he had a stage 3 Astra and went to a standard type r and didn't look back....

[Edited on 01-02-2010 by Ash_EP3]
richc

1st Feb 10 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I don't think the driving position of the GSi helps any of what has been stated above, it feels very awkward from what I remember.

I find the gear stick too low down. But saying the the one in the 3 series is quite high up
richc

1st Feb 10 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even after saying what i have said, i wouldnt buy one. Think they fetch too much money for a 12 yr old shape car with different bumpers and a turbo.
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i test drove one years ago the engine note sounded like a hairdryer and it was not that quick.

I walked away and bought my second scooby
Ojc

1st Feb 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coupe Turbo is a much better bet IMO, far more to choose from, more colours and some have higher specs than the GSi.

Look better as well IMO.
whitter45

1st Feb 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not that quick standard
R1CH

1st Feb 10 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done a tank of fuel in under 100 miles!! :O

My GSi handles, but I have spent a few grand on suspension etc, plus it goes well ! but my trip computer is generally averaging 18-22mpg !

But then again when I do drive it is only on track these days!

Plus the standard seats are shockingly uncomfortable especially on long journeys, and unsupportive on the track.

I'm looking to swap over to a Recaro Pole Position seats soon!
rsage

1st Feb 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mmmm . . . Was in love with these cars! but by what ive just read, think it might be a hard one now.
dont really like any other car the now, all either to common or to expensive or not to ma taste! but im just picky lol Thanks for all the info!!
R1CH

1st Feb 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive one for yourself! Make up your own mind
corsa120

1st Feb 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long did that take you to do rob r???? fact of the matter is you have mis-red what i written which is why explaining something on the internet is hard............

i said they are not that quick but what i mean by that is its quick enough for what i do with it...... i said it handles ok.......... once again i dont drive like a 17 year old lad round town trying to impress my mates, me and my mrs use it for long distance touring and general stuff like shopping im afaid to me no matter how much you hate them it is a perfect car for what i use it for, and if i had something better i.e say handling wise it would be going to waste because i dont need anything extra a type r or golf has to offer...............

reason being when i want to have some lairy fun i use the xe corsa and when i want real speed i use my 1200 bandit bike so why do i need the handling of a type r?????

people will never agree so whats the point in arguing, when i said im fed up with people saying it does'nt handle i was not implying that it did handle i was meerly saying it maybe no clio 182 but its no mk1 fiesta either is it.....

this is how picky some people are my mate moned about buying a car because he did not like how his elbow felt on the door card which is a valid dislike but to someonelse it sounds crazy but thats just people..

i say test drive one mate i actually quite like mine to be fair bit as i say above i did not buy it to beat all the pikeys in vts's down the local high street which seems to be what you have to buy these days for someone to say its a good car....... i wanted a nice looking car to do things like shopping in.....

[Edited on 01-02-2010 by corsa120]

gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Feb 10 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As R1CH said people just need to drive a car and make up their own mind

It will either suit them or it wont

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Rob R

1st Feb 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
how long did that take you to do rob r????

alot less time than it took you to type that...plus i didn't need to edit my post
Pete_vxl

1st Feb 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa120 is bang on.
Nick-S

1st Feb 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said standard there is much room for improvement. But not sure why people say they dont handle, my mates has kw clubsport suspension kit, RARB and stange 1 remap, (230hp and 260ft lbs) and its pritty dam good round the twisttys. ride is fine aswell. Yes the streeing lacks any sort of feedback but i wouldent say that mades it a bad, or boring car at all. i love it
Jambo

1st Feb 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone asked for info. Alot of people have had them and voiced their opinions. Obviously driving one would be essential, horses for courses etc..

But just cos you ask for advice doesnt mean you should get 30 arse licking replies.
matt_aka_smiler

1st Feb 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gsi does everything i want it to, you dont have to rev the knackers off it like you woould a civic and yes i have been in 1 vtec'd everywhere and only then did it feel quick. Theres lots of things you can do to an astra, an XEV cam with a vernier makes it pull harder to the redline and it doesnt die at 5.5k. A whiteline rear arb helps alot too i believe from what other people have said and i imagine it would having one on my old corsa. And why are people comparing it to a clio 182? yes the astra will be a barge in comparison but whats a megane like? im sure you can tell the difference with that being bigger than a clio.
corsa120

1st Feb 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rob r my grammer is'nt perfect i know but its readable wanted to get back to my formula 1 wii

but i was editing to add more not to correct, if i was editing to correct myself id be worried at my grammer ability tbh

matt i was only comparing it to a clio because apparently the only thing a car MUST HAVE TO BE A GREAT BUY is it must handle like an enzo or its rubbish thats it end of, no matter if it gets the best mpg or the most toys or a big boot IT MUST HANDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HANDLE HANDLE HANDLE

thing is gsi's are good in the mid-range they would probably beat a type r from 40-80mph but of course its 0-60 that matters baby apparently

Warren G

1st Feb 10 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just hope springs and a map will make it better

as standard its pretty bad tbh, i love the way vxr's are, they just feel hooked up, astra needs mods to make it half decent,

i got out of my astra, straight into my corsa c 1.8 sri (basicaly standard) and the difference was amazing totaly different cars....corsa much better

as for that comment about saxo vts's - well i got done by gavin in his 140bhp vts

i wreckon the 1.8 c would keep up to 80mph

i think its the handling that lets it down the most,
matt_aka_smiler

1st Feb 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in your corsa or astra?
Jambo

1st Feb 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hndling or not, speed or not i would rather drive a car that is fun and rewarding. Making even slow journeys rewarding.

I wouldnt spend all that money on tax petrol and insurance on something i could of done for half the price in a diesel vectra.

Opinions are opinions, but some things mentioned in here are FACT by people who have owned these cars and got rid due to the fact they are dull, its more than 3 of us in this thread, which in my mind would make for some choice debating before handing over my money!

But if your happy, your happy Horses for Courses etc...
Ash_EP3

1st Feb 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On another point in regards to tuning my friends mildly tuned type r (full exhaust system, RBC intake, inlet manifold + remap = 250bhp) his mates stage 3 GSi T CAN'T beat him.... all be it, it probably cost less!!

In the end he sold the Astra and bought a Type R
Warren G

1st Feb 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which part? prob astra i meant

i drove one of my mapped corsa d sri turbo with about 220bhp, is rapid compared to the astra, struggling to get traction in 3rd with decent tyres - now that dove well!!
Warren G

1st Feb 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Hndling or not, speed or not i would rather drive a car that is fun and rewarding. Making even slow journeys rewarding.

I wouldnt spend all that money on tax petrol and insurance on something i could of done for half the price in a diesel vectra.

Opinions are opinions, but some things mentioned in here are FACT by people who have owned these cars and got rid due to the fact they are dull, its more than 3 of us in this thread, which in my mind would make for some choice debating before handing over my money!

But if your happy, your happy Horses for Courses etc...

my dads vectra sri 150bhp derv estate handled well, deffently better than the astra! cant beleive how bad it is thinking about that now

i could chuck that thing around around about, and it was planted! though is new exlisive vectra estate doesnt handle at all - so i dont like driving it
Jambo

1st Feb 10 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasnt slating Vectra btw, i just cant beleive how cheap you can pick them up for

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra GSI Mk4 24 database queries in 0.0178711 seconds