corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Applications - Queries

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job Applications - Queries
Dom

User status: Offline
21st Feb 10 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know there are a few people who deal with job apps/work in job agencies on a daily basis, so i thought i'd post up a few questions i have about filling in job apps (have no luck with jobs so far so thought i'd check a few things) -

For the last few months, since graduating last July, i've been doing a lot of freelance work (filming work/php development - what i can to tie me over etc) which isn't really related to the jobs i'm applying for (Music/Studio Technician). However i have done the position before during a placement year 2 years ago. So, when they ask about recent employment do i list the last/current freelance job, the last related freelance job or the technician role i did 2 years ago? I've been doing the former (most recent work - php development) but i have a feeling it isn't really helping matters.

And lastly, what's the best way to go about the 'additional information' (an area for you to write 1000 words or so explaining why you're suited to the job, skills, knowledge etc) section on job applications?
Typical blurb about this section -
Please give your reasons for making this application, including evidence that you possess the skills, knowledge and experience required by the person specification.
I'm not a fan of talking about myself or 'bigging' myself up, so i have been keeping these sections short and sweet (short paragraphs, almost bullet-point format), but it can end up being a bit of a "i can do this, this, this, this and that" (sounding cocky i suppose). Should I start explaining points ie - how i've come to gain that knowledge/skill? Apart from usual 'i know how to do this', is there anything i else i should include in this section?

cheers for any advice
Ben J

21st Feb 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you read the person spec and provide examples of your previous experience that link in to each part.
Dom

21st Feb 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
Make sure you read the person spec and provide examples of your previous experience that link in to each part.

Yeah, i've been tying in what they require with revious experience/work/projects etc.

Also, some jobs apps allow you the option of submitting a CV, is it worth doing? Just find it odd that you have 4/5 page application asking for everything about you and they give you the option of submitting a CV with similar information
Ben J

21st Feb 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worth putting CV in too. At least it shows you've got one and may have some other info on it that they like, i.e. hobbies etc. May give them a better picture of you as a person.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Applications - Queries 23 database queries in 0.0092030 seconds