corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » my first bike? info needed - supermoto's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my first bike? info needed - supermoto's
kev
Organiser: North East
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Mar 10 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above am looking to get my first bike!!

been looking at the ktm 660 sm and other supermotos like the yamaha wr 450,honda xr's etc

has anyone got supermotos on here and also whats the best to go for in your opinion

i no its each to there own in cars & bikes but with the ktm's in genrel ive been told to keep clean of the exc?

Thanks
stubs

29th Mar 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a KTM 660 SMC and it's fepping awesome!

Who told you to stay away from the EXC? My mate's got the 450 EXC and there's not much between mine & his
sand-eel

29th Mar 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really want a pit bike after seeing the one in nic barnes build thread
kev
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
I have a KTM 660 SMC and it's fepping awesome!

Who told you to stay away from the EXC? My mate's got the 450 EXC and there's not much between mine & his

a KTM dealer local to me.. said go for the ktm 660 smc over the 450 exc as the smc have a more road worthy engine and wont need to be re-built after so many hours use etc?
stubs

29th Mar 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how frequently you're going to be using it.

My mate's had his from new (2005 model) and head out most weekends over summer for a blast and the odd commuting and it's still going very strong without anything more than servicing.

That said, they're not hard to work on if you're confident with a set of spanners.

The 660 smc is a more comfortable ride than the 450 exc, but it's a lot bigger and feels a little lazier in the bends. On track it's a bit too much of a barge and is a struggle to keep up with the smaller sized bikes (apart from on the straights where it thunders past the pack and overshoot's the bend )

Both bikes are wicked fun though and the 660 is a proper hooligan machine. When buying mine, I got told they're great fun if you can pull a wheelie and if not then you'll quickly learn... try keeping it down on 2 wheels, I dare ya!

[Edited on 29-03-2010 by stubs]
kev
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha thanks stubs i have had a shot of my mates exc 450 its just a back wheeler off the throttle hence why i want one his the the 05 model also and i feel in love once i seen it and had a shot!!

what about the yamaha wr 450 f are them a good bike?

are should i stick to the smc are exc?
DaveyLC

29th Mar 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get bored of bikes/cars really quickily.. I bought my first supermoto (DRZ400) 3 years ago and it still puts a grin on my face every time I ride it. Wouldnt swap it for anything!

She's my baby!

I went for the Enduro model and converted it because its a damn sight lighter (minimal subframe, plastic tank, no fan etc.) and the engine is about 10bhp more power or something stupid like that

[Edited on 29-03-2010 by DaveyLC]
kev
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like that!!! ^ i've got a soft spot for a ktm are wr at the minute though

i like the look of your though really smart! what years that one?
DaveyLC

29th Mar 10 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a 2003 DRZ400E
redtom

29th Mar 10 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a wr450f.

Top bikes and i prefer it over the ktm although it comes down to personal preference to be honest.

try and have a ride of both.
kev
Premium Member

29th Mar 10 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_power
Got a wr450f.

Top bikes and i prefer it over the ktm although it comes down to personal preference to be honest.

try and have a ride of both.

cash is there for one, its just been looking at that many ktms am sick of looking at them already

i've had goes of both and love them both so stuck at the minute which to get?
stubs

29th Mar 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kevcr
haha thanks stubs i have had a shot of my mates exc 450 its just a back wheeler off the throttle hence why i want one his the the 05 model also and i feel in love once i seen it and had a shot!!

what about the yamaha wr 450 f are them a good bike?

are should i stick to the smc are exc?

The WR are also a good bike.. like corsa_power says, it's down to personal prefrence TBH.
I never liked the look of KTM's until I'd had a go on one and immediately I sold my R6 to buy one

If you think the 450 exc is a back wheeler, please please please have a shot on the 660 and hold the fuck on.. it's well impressive! Every gear will have you skywards

I just can't put down in words how much fun these bikes are out on the road/track.. like Davey said, you're not going to want rid of it
stubs

29th Mar 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually think the SMC is lacking in the looks department, but overall it's a bigger and louder bike than the 450.. not much faster but has got HEAPS of torque.

I hated the look of mine, but could not walk away from it after having a test ride.. despite being out shopping cash in hand for a 450 exc.

Ride all the bikes you're interested in and let your heart make the choice.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » my first bike? info needed - supermoto's 23 database queries in 0.3278031 seconds