corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » trying to fit coilovers but the bolts from the origional shock are corroded and wont budge! What ddo

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author trying to fit coilovers but the bolts from the origional shock are corroded and wont budge! What ddo
jon-valver

User status: Offline
   11th Apr 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

propa stuck. And when i tries with force the bolt still wont move but the spanner slips round causing it to loose its thread? Propa peed off as i want it slammed so bad lol its as though the bolts are too old and they are stuck, what shall i do?
vinnie

11th Apr 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may need a bit of heet on the bolt to losen then off
chrex

11th Apr 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had to take the whole strut to a garage to get gunned free. the impact guns spin quick enuf to stop the piston spinning too, whilst crackin the nut.

Its a pain and you WILL round it otherwise. Just ask em to loosen it off a bit, once its moved, you can do it wit a spanner once the springs are compressed...its just the initial crack free you are wanting.
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah. Well am just gonna take it to my mechanic and explain. Ive got both front coilovers and rear fk dampers and 100mm rear springs. All i need is them fitting lol if any1 up for the job?
chrex

11th Apr 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honest, take both front strut setups off...get to a garage, and 30 secs later you will be able to loosen them and have the job done in less than an hour.

have you got spacers so the wheels clear the coilovers?
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and its the 2 bolts just behind break disk on strut jus to be clear lol. Fookin fings
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and no i aint eeven had the coilovers on so i dint no if i needed spacers... Jus cos ive got vauxhall wheels i thought they would be fine? How do you get the whole strut off then without unduing the 2 18mm bolts that are well and truly stuck on mine? Cheers
Root

11th Apr 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wd40
vinnie

11th Apr 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as i said m8 some heat mole grips if the bolt has started to round and ratchet on other side. air gun would be better but you should get it without
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, ive tried wd40 an no joy. How much is it to buy a new pair of these bolts cos when i eventually get them out i want some new ones to put back in. So what they called and what size cheers
chrex

11th Apr 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh thought you meant the top centre one.

Yea you just gotta heat em up and use PTFE lube or plus gas. 18mm IIRC. I used a spanner and a breaker bar.

From vaux they arent much. Just tell them you want the two strut to hub assembly bolts and nuts,cant remember if they stock em or not.
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok. So is breaker bar the same as crack bar like an extending one? Ile give it a go with a lot of wd40 and ile try lube aswel with the spanner round the nut and the extendin one round the nut see if i get any joy. Al update tonite wen ive tried it. Cheers guys
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and whats plus gas btw lol?
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and whats plus gas btw lol?
Richardhhha

11th Apr 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

breaker bar is just a long solid steal bar that you can connect a socket to..

you can do it all by hand you just need a breaker bar with the correct size socket preferably a single hick (6 sided) and ether mole grips or a good spanner.. it will be tight but remember they might not have been touched in 10 to 15 years
jon-valver

11th Apr 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeye i did it now it worked. Am just stuck on the rears cos ive jacked it up and tried unduing the rear top bolts on the boot of the car but they just keep spinnin what shall i do i need to get the standard shock off to be able to put my fk ones on propa duin ma nut in cos the top bolts are just spinning lol help!
Kieran
Premium Member

12th Apr 10 at 06:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As chrex said in his first post. Take it to a garage and get them guned off. Cos it spins fast and that's what you need to stop it spinning. just put fronts on or what ever drive to garage ask them To gun off. then whilst there take the piss and put new ones on there then ask them to gun them ones back up job done.
vinnie

12th Apr 10 at 06:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have to put a 8mm spanner on the top part that keeps spinning or hold it still with mole grips

may i sugest the haynes manual very hand for things like this
Kieran
Premium Member

12th Apr 10 at 06:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vinnie
you have to put a 8mm spanner on the top part that keeps spinning or hold it still with mole grips

may i sugest the haynes manual very hand for things like this

Or that lol. Silly me was saying what I do. ( I have rear strutbrace ) lol

sorry m8 do what this guy said

New Poll