corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Aftermarket Warranty's any good?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Aftermarket Warranty's any good?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
19th Apr 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After spending £250 having a rattly pulley replaced and now being told that i need new Diff Bearings at approx £800 i'm considering an aftermarket warrenty with someone like http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/

The reviews seem good, they cover for wear and tear and £20 a month is a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the common faults that are likely to fail in the future, Clutch, Dual Mass Flywheel, Inlet Manifold etc.

Thing is, will they try and get out of a claim any way they can meaning the £20 a month would be better spend on crack and pole dancers?

[Edited on 19-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
Fro

19th Apr 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read the T and C's very carefully. IIRC someone on the 350z site had grief with them as they wouldnt replace a leaky oil cooler as 'they dont tend to fail often so we dont include it'.
adiohead

19th Apr 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't bother.
A2H GO

19th Apr 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
Read the T and C's very carefully. IIRC someone on the 350z site had grief with them as they wouldnt replace a leaky oil cooler as 'they dont tend to fail often so we dont include it'.

Might be worth giving them a call to ask for a T&C's booklet as the information on their site its very broad and states 'All Warranty Direct polices protect you against failure caused by wear & tear because parts can fail due to wear & tear at anytime. '

But then they also say, 'If an uninsured part fails and breaks an insured part, then we will pay the for the repair of the insured part as per any other claim. Other warranty companies refuse to settle such claims.'

I read the above as they class some parts as 'Insured' and some as 'Uninsured' so basically i need to know if Clutches, Gearboxes, Dual Mass Flywheels and Inlet Manifolds are classed as 'Insured' parts.
A2H GO

19th Apr 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
I wouldn't bother.

Under normal circumstances i wouldnt but selling the car is not an option and i need to try and avoid any more large bills.
Rob_Lee
Banned

19th Apr 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would bother!

I bought a warenty when i bought the astra, cost me 350 quid but within the first 3 months i'd claimed about a grand on it!

Word of warning BE CAREFUL WHO YOU USE FOR WARRENTIES!

I work in the motortrade and some are just a fucking scam, i have some guy come in for repairs and when we tried claiming on his warrenty they told us the max limit for the policy was £500....... he paid 499 for the warrenty!
DaveyLC

19th Apr 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not worth the paper they are printed on.
Rob_Lee
Banned

19th Apr 10 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps.... avoid names you;ve never heard of...

Stick to places like AA warrenty etc.... the warrenty i have is with Lumley Autos Protect.

Excellent warrenty company and dont worm out of paying!
A2H GO

19th Apr 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Lee
ps.... avoid names you;ve never heard of...

Stick to places like AA warrenty etc.... the warrenty i have is with Lumley Autos Protect.

Excellent warrenty company and dont worm out of paying!

The one im looking at is working out at £23 a month, ill look into that company but i doubt i could afford £350 upfront for the cover.

I find that when i ask the question i get a lot of mixed opinions, some saying 'could save you a lot of money and worth it' and others saying 'dont bother as they wont pay out', which is why im like
Graham88

19th Apr 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine wasn't worth a wank on my Fiesta so I'd never bother again
Fro

19th Apr 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only extended warantee I have had was the one Nnissan gave me when i bought the car, they replaced my head unit both rear CV's and body control module which would have been 4 figures including parts and labour without any fuss
A2H GO

19th Apr 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
Only extended warantee I have had was the one Nnissan gave me when i bought the car, they replaced my head unit both rear CV's and body control module which would have been 4 figures including parts and labour without any fuss

The manufacturer warranty's tend to be pretty good, i know lots of people who have had things replaced FOC.

Ive just sent this email to Warrantys Direct, whats the betting they will answer in some round about way that misses the point:

Good Afternoon,

I am looking at taking out one of your policys to cover my new car. The car is a Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi(150) and is a 2005(05) model. After reading various articles on the common faults for this model and the costs associated with the repairs i feel some sort of warranty is needed for peace of mind.

I was hopeing that you would be able to let me know whether or not the parts that are known to fail, would be covered under your policy? The parts in particular that tend to be known common faults are:

Inlet Manifold(in particular the Swirl Flaps)
Clutch
Dual Mass Flywheel
Gearbox (loss of certain gears)

Failure of the above parts may be linked to other components such as Soot build up in the Inlet Manifold which is the cause of the common Swirl Flap failure, therefore would this be covered?

The reason i ask is because it would be slightly pointless of me to pay monthly for a policy that does not cover for pretty much the only things that go wrong with these cars. The car shows no signs of any of the above failing, it has been fully serviced throughout its life(not aways at the main dealer) and has recently had a new cam belt and water pump however i feel the policy may still be of benefit in the long term should any of the above fail.

Thanks for your time
Kind Regards
Ashley
mwg

19th Apr 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'm going to look in to one for my car. Maybe extend the original Audi one when it runs out in September.

I do not fancy running it out of warranty. The work its having done now will be in to the thousands I suspect, glad I'm not footing the bill.
A2H GO

19th Apr 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Think I'm going to look in to one for my car. Maybe extend the original Audi one when it runs out in September.

I do not fancy running it out of warranty. The work its having done now will be in to the thousands I suspect, glad I'm not footing the bill.

Thats the thing with newer cars, when things go wrong they cost a fortune. I miss the corsa days where when something breaks and you can fix it with cable ties.
Colin

19th Apr 10 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh I wouldnt bother, why pay £xx a month when nothing could go wrong!!

If something does go wrong & you dont have the cash, then you go get a 0% card & pay £xx a month until the repairs been paid off!!

The years inclusive warranty from the garage is just about to run out on the M3 & im not going to renew it.

Last year I claimed £700 worth on it, however it was for daft things which I wouldnt have put into the main delers for anyway if I didnt have a warranty & if I was to repair myself would have cost around £100!!

[Edited on 19-04-2010 by Colin]
A2H GO

19th Apr 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
tbh I wouldnt bother, why pay £xx a month when nothing could go wrong!!

If something does go wrong & you dont have the cash, then you go get a 0% card & pay £xx a month until the repairs been paid off!!

The years inclusive warranty from the garage is just about to run out on the M3 & im not going to renew it.

Last year I claimed £700 worth on it, however it was for daft things which I wouldnt have put into the main delers for anyway if I didnt have a warranty & if I was to repair myself would have cost around £100!!

I supose there are two sides to the coin. Why risk having to put £1000 worth of repairs on a credit card when you can pay £23 a month to have the work done for free.

Like you say, the £23 is only wasted if nothing ever breaks, but then in comes down to 'how likely is it that certian parts will fail'. In my case, taking into account mileage, the fact that none of these known parts have been replaced before, the amount that have failed and going off what ive had to spend up to now, its quite likely.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Aftermarket Warranty's any good? 23 database queries in 0.0124969 seconds