corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal standpoint

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legal standpoint
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 10 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always wondered this, what is your legal standpoint about paying for work/parts done on your car, diagnosing a fault, when what they diagnose/replace doesnt cure the problem?
BarnshaW

23rd Apr 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you still going on about that coilpack
Tom B

23rd Apr 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it all depends on the situation, we had a customer come into our place who had hit a pot hole and broke the nsf spring so we replaced them but when we took out on road test it was still knocking but and the anti roll bar bushes had gone from the impact too, she wasnt happy but it had to be done to cure the problem. what im trying to get at is somethings can be more than one thing to cure a problem
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
you still going on about that coilpack

nah this is just a general query that iv always wondered, someone else on another forum is having the issue
John

23rd Apr 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've autorised the work I can't see any comeback.

Some problems don't get fixed first time, if they don't understand that they should have done a bit more research.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom B
it all depends on the situation, we had a customer come into our place who had hit a pot hole and broke the nsf spring so we replaced them but when we took out on road test it was still knocking but and the anti roll bar bushes had gone from the impact too, she wasnt happy but it had to be done to cure the problem. what im trying to get at is somethings can be more than one thing to cure a problem

granted, but what if it isnt, and its clearcut that somethings replaced, hasnt solved it, but youve got to pay for that anyway as its now on your car
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you've autorised the work I can't see any comeback.

Some problems don't get fixed first time, if they don't understand that they should have done a bit more research.

But surely you are going taking the garages word, as a professional company that changing X would cure it and authorise it. But what about if they were wrong, its not up to you to know beforehand is it and to not authorise the work.

The only way out of that i can see is if the garage disclaimered it by saying you understand this might not fix it but you will be liable for the costs

[Edited on 23-04-2010 by Steve]
Tom B

23rd Apr 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what company did you use is it like a back street garage or like a branded place? because you could always give the customer services a call they would advise you further. if its there own business then good luck! lol
Adam_B

23rd Apr 10 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it depends on what the actual product is and if the company can re-sell it if you have used it. For example I dont think you could take back a spark plug, but something like a coil pack then maybe.

One for trading standards i rekon.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was ford, but it wasnt a personal situation, it was someone else on the puma forum about ford. This is the story, there puma got EAC fail on the dash and EML light on.

So they took it to ford and they replaced

Throttle body sensor x 1
Throttle motor x 1
Accelerator pedal x 3
Battery x 1

which didnt fix it, and charged them 800 quid

Now they are saying its the ecu and want to charge them a further 1k to fix it

Adam_B

23rd Apr 10 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ford are robbing twats, there company policy on parts stinks. That will only get sorted if/when court action is looking likley.
Tom B

23rd Apr 10 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
One for trading standards i rekon.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Apr 10 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
Ford are robbing twats, there company policy on parts stinks. That will only get sorted if/when court action is looking likley.

yep i know this from my ongoing issue with the coil pack, did you know when i took the part back to where i got it from, which was 100+ miles from home, they wantedme to buy another and to send off mine for "testing" before reimburssing me with for the new one, and i was told i couldnt go to any dealer to do this process, it was only after a bit of arguing and proving from recieipt from the garage that fixed it did they issue me with a refund

iv since contacted trading standards about the consequential loss claim who told me im legally entitled to it, and to write to dealer direct, if they dont oblige then they will be taking it further

Adam_B

23rd Apr 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, i worked for them for about2 weeks. Thats the massive general sweeping policy, make it a pain in the arse so the customer goes fuck it i cant be arsed. Where I am now we do everything we can within reason to keep the customer happy, it makes a better working enviroment and the customer is more likely to come back and spend money in the long run, guess thats the difference between big and little companys though.
deano87

23rd Apr 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea on legal stand point, but I think the key is to get the garage to find the fault and diagnose the problem.

i.e. on the Corsa, I went to the garage, said the clutch is gone, asked them to replace the clutch and they did. It was then making a funny noise whilst idling with my foot off the clutch (like a metal scraping noise). And they said "you asked us to change the clutch, the clutch was the problem".

If I had gone to them and said "the car won't go into gear, can you diagnose and fix" I guess you'd have a come back.

That isn't a very good example, but you get my drift.

A good example also is my girlfriends Fiesta. The heater stopped blowing hot air, she took it to them and asked them to fix it. Initially the fix didn't work, she took it back, they tried something else and it worked. No extra monies involved because what they fixed the first time clearly didn't work.

[Edited on 23-04-2010 by deano87]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal standpoint 23 database queries in 0.0091000 seconds