corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Dormer (loft) wardrobes....edit - now with technical drawing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dormer (loft) wardrobes....edit - now with technical drawing
dannymccann

User status: Offline
7th May 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In our bedroom there is only one place for a wardrobe to go because of the layout of the room with banisters / ensuite / radiators. Pics below will hopefully help explain but we need a wardrobe that slopes (roughly 45deg) at the back.

I dont suppose anywhere sells a flat pack wardrobe to this specification? There is plenty of people who will build them, but we dont have at least £1000 to get it done, and as you can see the clothing rail we are using at the moment is shit

edit - would 1 or 2 'small' wardrobes in the space look stupid? The roof angle stops at roughly 5ft, so a 6ft wardrobe would have to stand away from the wall by what, 2 odd foot perhaps? My trigonometry (I think thats the method I need here??) fails me

[Edited on 07-05-2010 by dannymccann]

AndyKent

7th May 10 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never seen one myself. Any wardrobes I've seen are custom-made (either professionally or knocked together at home).

That or put up a rail with a curtain or something. Will likely look a bit shit though
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes that would look even worse than the current shambles of it all
John

7th May 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a flat pack wardrobe, a saw and a couple of bits of timber.

Cut angle off back, add timber for support, sorted.
ed

7th May 10 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy most the bits you need from Screwfix, you'd have to knock together the framework yourself and probably get the doors from somewhere like Wickes...
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally am not a particularly practical person in respect of this sort of work. I would be willing to give it a go though.

Is it as easy as buying

2 side panels
Some support bars for the back
Correct sized rail
A roof panel
Couple of doors (was planning on making them sliding, bit ambitious perhaps??)

And the the fittings.

Now obviously could I just screw it all together or is it just going to fall over??
ed

7th May 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's pretty much it. I'm sure there are some guides on the web on how to get started.
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill have a google, thanks
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, after taking some measurements heres what Ive got to play with. Ive only got a depth of 71cm due to light switches / sockets being on the wall.

The over-draw on the dormer is correct, basically the front of the wardrobe would not marry up flush to the ceiling as it still angled there...opinions? Also what to do about the back? I wasnt planning on having a back, just leave the wall there, but for support possibly have the back come up 158cm to keep it simple?

ed

7th May 10 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could build some kind of false wall with a timber frame and a chipboard front. Then attach some doors to it, if you wanted sliding then I believe you can buy the sliders from Screwfix to do that. To get it to marry up at the top you can slice the top of your front to the cupboard at an angle if you're careful - that's how we've had ours done.
pow
Premium Member

7th May 10 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just put a false wall up with some sliding doors on there
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think we have worked out what we are going to do.

Its going to be a freestanding unit, not built in at all. Good solid base of MDF (cheap and strong), sides up and trimmed to match dormer. A dividing 'wall' in the middle to add support and to break up the wardrobe, allowing 4 rails (2 rails for shirts / t-shirts and 2 for trousers / skirts) with open shelving at the top for towels / bedding to make most use of slope. Thin wood effect MDF tacked on top and back for support. Possibly some sort of shoe storage system in the bottom and depending on space perhaps a rolling shelf inbetween each of the pair of rails for even more storage.

Also thinking 4 smaller doors rather than 2 big ones to even out the weight, as 2 x 95cm doors are going to be very heavy and unwieldy....

Next questions:

MDF all the way or 'ContiBoard'?

Best way to secure sides to floor, im thinking some dowels and internal L-shaped brackets?

pow
Premium Member

7th May 10 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely a false wall would be far far better? Nothing a bit of filler and paint cant hide if you ever decide to remove them
dannymccann

8th May 10 at 06:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

False wall surely requires me to fix it to the floor, which isnt possible because I have (brand new) carpet down and am not willing to start ripping that up for something that potentially isnt going to pull off right...
mantamark

8th May 10 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would deffo be making a frame & just fitting some doors to it, then shelving the inside space out / rails / whatever.

Trying to create a wardrobe to fit perfectly into that space seems like far too much hard work imo when you can stick some rails up and a few shelves and whack some doors over the front.
pow
Premium Member

8th May 10 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My partition wall isn't fixed to the floor in my bedroom, just the wall both sides and the ceiling

I know this because I laid laminate under it
dannymccann

8th May 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well - its up Its pretty sturdy, going to put a dirty great plinth for the roof on tomorrow (need to get some more brackets) for stability. Not sure whether to put a back on yet or not. Might just put a support beam across the back and then some shelves screwed to the wall.

Still need to find some doors though, B&Q, Focus, Homebase and Wickes had nothing any good. Going for 4 doors over 2 as well

[Edited on 08-05-2010 by dannymccann]
Simon

8th May 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good effort, first ever technical drawing I've seen done in Word
dannymccann

9th May 10 at 05:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The measurements were surprisingly accurate for me and it was by pure chance focus sold 91cm clothes rails which are a mm-perfect fit both sides, meaning I got it perfectly centre

New Poll