corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Peoples thoughts on exhaust wrap on manifolds

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Peoples thoughts on exhaust wrap on manifolds
Corsa_Sport21

User status: Offline
19th Jun 10 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
pointless on most cars, gets wet and can rot exhaust, not really meant for everyday road cars

Yep and if its mild steel then it will more than likely crack the manifold seeing as it needs to be soaking when when applied.Wouldnt have wasted the money tbh on what looks to be a standard engine.
Adam_B

19th Jun 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said its pretty pointless on road cars and can cause more problems than not. You say its for aesthetic reasons but I dont think it will look right on your engine, id go polished.

Rest of it looks really smart though!

[Edited on 19-06-2010 by Adam_B]
corsabsonny

20th Jun 10 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It coste 15 quid until I can afford 200 quid for chromeing lol
chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jun 10 at 07:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt of said you want to chrome your exhaust manifold, do you mean ceramic coating?

When you wrapped it did you do i whilst it was wet?

also when you wrap the manifold you are moving the hottest part of the exhaust system further down the line, and this can cause problems. if there is any part that comes loose then you can create hot spots on your manifold and that can lead to cracking.

if i was you i would take it all back off and leave it painted black (assuming its high temp paint)
corsabsonny

20th Jun 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is high temperature paint.
djgritt
Premium Member

20th Jun 10 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good.

I'll be wrapping mine soon - horror stories don't put me off - Uncles have had their Steel Ashley Manifolds wrapped on their rally cars for years without issue, and they tend to see more abuse than most roadgoing cars.

As for concerns over heat, the exhaust will still remain as hot under the wrapping, it prevents the heat from being radiated. Yes there will be some increase in temperature, but nothing significant enough to worry about.

And when I do it, I won't be doing it with the Lagging saturated in water or whatnot, we use the same materials in different forms for the Insulation of Burner head shrouds within Boilers & Furnaces - it is used to prevent over heating of the shroud to stop any cracking or distortion - we've never had faults when the lagging is in place and we don't apply it wet. (bearing in mind a furnace with a single burner producing anything up to 40-50MW of energy generates a LOT more heat than an Exhaust Manifold)
corsabsonny

20th Jun 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate
corsabsonny

20th Jun 10 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw what's wrong with chromeing it?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Peoples thoughts on exhaust wrap on manifolds 23 database queries in 0.0108349 seconds