corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The problems associated with the Astra MK5 1.9cdti 150ps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The problems associated with the Astra MK5 1.9cdti 150ps
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
6th Jul 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know if the issues surrounding this engine is for the 150ps version or do the 120ps versions suffer aswell.

Im thinking of possibly going for the 1.7 as im dont think i have heard of problems relating to this engine, correct me if im worng please though.

John

6th Jul 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The possibility of a problem isn't a good reason to go for the 1.7 imo, the 150 1.9 is worlds apart.

Nearly all 120 1.9's are 8v engines so different from the 150, there are a couple of 16v 120's about though which I'd guess would be susceptible to the same issues.
Warren G

6th Jul 10 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do not like that 1.7 engine one bit.
Daimo B

6th Jul 10 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was on the understanding that the 1.7 unit isn't very good and the 1.9 150ps is the best and most reliable of the lot.

Apart from the gearbox
Bullet Proof SRi

6th Jul 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe ill look into the 1.9 120 ps version then, i was set on the 150 version, but after just knowing that it could have some problems, im shying away, I know any car can have major problems even new cars that have a reputable name.

However i think i would try to steer clear of a model that is known for common faults.

TBH john it doesnt look like i will get one until the end of the year anyway as the GF turns 25 then, but if something comes up cheap then its a possibility.

We have added many other cars to the list now though so i think its a case of try before buy.

Very different list of cars

Astra mk5 sri
Fiesta zetec s
mini cooper
Audi A3 - think these may be out of price range
Focus
Golf - same problem as audi i think

Diesels models are the prefered choice at the moment just for after purchase costs, cheaper tax, insurance, and fuel economy compared o the equivalent petrol model.

However due to now working close by i only travel at most 10 miles a day, sometimes only 5 lol. So not sure if a diesel will have problems with doing low miles, something about the dbf filters in diesels not being able to clear properly makeing soot build up.

How true this is i dont know as i thought diesels were around not only for better fuel economy on long journeys , but because it being better to the enviro no matter what miles you do evn if only a few a day

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by Bullet Proof SRi]
Warren G

6th Jul 10 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.9 common faults

egr valves
swirl flaps (meaning new inlet)
dual mass flywheels rattle

John

6th Jul 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 150's in the astra don't have dpf's.
Bullet Proof SRi

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
1.9 common faults

egr valves
swirl flaps (meaning new inlet)
dual mass flywheels rattle

If the 120ps version is 8 valve though maybe some of these faults are not a problem
Bettley

Gearboxes are rubbish, there a common fault, just had one in ours
Bullet Proof SRi

6th Jul 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The 150's in the astra don't have dpf's.

I know but as said not sure if the 150 version is now top pf my list, as i wont be able to afford one still in warranty.

7k is really the max we are goona look to spend i think, would be nice to spend less but also its possible we could spend a tad more for the right car.

[Edited on 06-07-2010 by Bullet Proof SRi]
Bullet Proof SRi

7th Jul 10 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any opinions on the cars gurs

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The problems associated with the Astra MK5 1.9cdti 150ps 23 database queries in 0.1054900 seconds