corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Bike rack & car with spoiler - I've found one that works - now with pics!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day: Bike rack & car with spoiler - I've found one that works - now with pics!
deano87

User status: Offline
21st Jul 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, I didn't want to put my bikes in the back of the Punto due to ruining the interior (and it actually being smaller than a Corsa B), therefore there was 3 options.

1) Tow bar - approximately £275 for the tow bar fitted then another £100 for the rack, this wasn't an option.
2) Roof bars - as nice as they are, the mounts aren't that great as there are no gutters on the car.
3) Strap on - didn't think this was an option due to the spoiler on the Punto.

HOWEVER, I had a friend with a Corsa D SRi which uses the same chassis therefore similar shape, including spoiler. He had a bike rack which worked perfectly. I therefore tried his rack on mine tonight and et-voila, it works.

The rack is this:
http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/strap-on-rack.php

I cannot recommend it enough. Sturdy British engineering, no silly plastic clips to snap and break. The top two straps clear the spoiler, the bottom clip to the bottom of the tailgate. And the 2 side ones simply require 'dumb-bells' or 'window attachments' to save the glass.

Yet to try it out with some bikes but I'm sure it'll be fine. Without bikes on it it was as sturdy as anything. I hung off it and it didn't budge

So the Pendle 3 bike rack - highly recommended for those on the budget but have a sporty car with boot spoiler.

EDIT:

You can see with his car the top straps clearing the spoiler:

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by deano87]
mwg

21st Jul 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a 4th option. Bike in a bike bag inside the car. Thats what I do. Keeps the interior nice and clean plus dont have to worry about leaving the bike(s) when I go to the pub for a pint on the way home.

I wouldn't fancy all that weight on my rear screen, heard of them cracking before now.
deano87

21st Jul 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's not a lot of weight on the rear screen, most of the pressure is on the boot lid below the screen.

Never thought of the bike bag - but often go out with the misses so have 2 bikes. Plus the opening of the Punto is tiny - you have to manouvere the bike in with both wheels off. Easy in an A3 I'd imagine.

The Punto rear screen is flatter than the Corsa D too.

My mate said he went to Wales like that, doing about 80mph all the way and the rack didn't move once.
mwg

21st Jul 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can fit 2 bikes in but yeah it is a bigger car. One in the bike bag, the other laid on top. Been up to Scotland and all sorts like that

I didn't want anything touching the paint so boot racks and roof racks were a no go as the A3 doesn't have mounting points for a roof rack so it'd be sat on the paint
AndyKent

21st Jul 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not fussed about the bike rack, but that second pic of the Corsa on what look like MOs makes it look awesome!
Corsa Sport Gav

21st Jul 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had the same probs with my S3 as the spoiler sticks out quite abit, in the end i went for a towbar and im please i did.

and removed

[Edited on 21-07-2010 by Corsa Sport Gav]
deano87

22nd Jul 10 at 04:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I could afford one I really do. But the price is very steep. I don't use it that much as dad has a van and we normally go riding together.
a_j_mair

22nd Jul 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just sling mine in the back of the pickup

have looked at making a rack or stand but most involve remopving the front wheel top clip the axle bit in and seems like alot oh hassle tbh
deano87

22nd Jul 10 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pictures - I was in the process of removing hence it being on the wonk and bike not really secured. Bit of a faff - obscures the lights which is illegal.

Kurt

22nd Jul 10 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You coul always just get a discounted set from me?
deano87

22nd Jul 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Roof bars? Apparently they're bit of a pain in the arse to fit and you get epic wind noise from them.

That reminds me I need to ask you something, will u2u.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd still want to invest the money in a towbar and the correct fixing, don't want all the pressure on my bootlid/rear screen

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by pow]
Kurt

22nd Jul 10 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow did you get my email?
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jul 10 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yes mate I did! Price of those wheels if just too much I love them though, makes me sad! Thanks for a catalog though
deano87

22nd Jul 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'd still want to invest the money in a towbar and the correct fixing, don't want all the pressure on my bootlid/rear screen

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by pow]

I think I plan too, especially if I start getting some commission drop at work. But for the interim the strap on will do I think. I'm still quite shocked at how sturdy it is.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Bike rack & car with spoiler - I've found one that works - now with pics! 23 database queries in 0.0111389 seconds