corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Focus ST Owners??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Focus ST Owners??
Kano

User status: Offline
10th Aug 10 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering what folks experiences are with these. Once we get our Astra back from getting its new gearbox were thinking of changing it.

Looking at 07/57 plate ST's at the moment. Found a few around the 11k mark at dealers which means we would only have to put a couple grand to change.

What sort of mpg do they get driving semi decent and any common faults we should be looking out for?

Ta!
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to say I've driven literally hundreds of different makes and models of cars and I found the ST to be one of the best! This was at the time when I had a classic scooby with nearly 320 brake.
Kano

10th Aug 10 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I've driven a few before and loved them. Other half is moving job to 3 miles from home so not god any need for the diesel any more so thinking why not!
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 10 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MPG is crap though and TBH I've heard there worse than a scooby! I'd buy a well looked after 07/57 one and dreamscience it's arse.. The engine has so much potential it's unreal, as you can see with the RS obviously
dannymccann

11th Aug 10 at 06:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see why you want rid of the Astra, but how long have you had it for? Best person to speak to about the ST's on here is BenG who had one for over a year I think
Mase
Premium Member

11th Aug 10 at 06:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love mine, had it about a year now, its not economical at all, probably averaging 25/26 mpg with commuting and motorway work. I did crack 31mpg the other week on the motorway, which was a little better. Decent amount of car for the money, goes well and easy to tune when you get used to the power from standard. Oh and they sound pretty good as well!

Mase
big eck

11th Aug 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a stunning white one with a huge spec list for sale on mlr just now. It's going for £11k.
big eck

11th Aug 10 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here it is

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=332469
CORSA NUT

11th Aug 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worth 11K all day long that

Is it me though or is 2 services not enough for such a powerfull car? Still can't get my head around it. Should at least have another oil change in there.
adiohead

11th Aug 10 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah, that's fine.
If I was running my car on big power I'd still only service it at normal intervals.
Toby
Premium Member

11th Aug 10 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would have to be a facelift st3 for me, cant stand the cloth recaros
mwg

11th Aug 10 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of cars can go to 18/19k between services these days. Wouldn't bother me!
Toby
Premium Member

11th Aug 10 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scotty_B

11th Aug 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby

We heard you the first time.

Stunning car and worth 11k all day long. This is why I don't understand people paying 20k for a new one when you can have this for almost half the money.
whitter45

11th Aug 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah would have to facelift version for me
Daimo B

11th Aug 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great car, probably a better "road" car, but deffo not as exciting as the astra imo.

whitter45

11th Aug 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Great car, probably a better "road" car, but deffo not as exciting as the astra imo.

Honest question

In what way is it not as exciting

fords are well known for an excellent chasis so cant really see why it wouldnt be as exciting
Daimo B

11th Aug 10 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got in the focus, its not as good a driving position as the astra (IMO before the haters who've never driven either car start....>.

the astra commanded you to have 2 hands on the wheel. I think it was more raw and rugged. Harsher power delivery. Feels more like a track road car.

I know the early ST's didn't have a great seating position. The stearing didn't have as much feeling, and didn't "want" you to have two hands on the rim. The power delivery was much smoother and it fealt like a hot hatch road car, but not the kind of car to throw around. I think it felt heavier as a car as well. The chassis was very very good, but standard for standard, the VXR just fealt more racey and more fun.

But thats me. And no-one listens to me so just an opinion

CORSA NUT

11th Aug 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never driven a VXR but driven normal sporty astra's and i thought the ride..seating..well pretty much everything was rubbish
Daimo B

11th Aug 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard astras nothing like it dude. Really two different cars that look similar.

Missis lil bro has a 150 CDTi, and recently since the VXR went, the hire company has given us an SXi 1.6, and an SRi 1.4. They feel like totally different cars to drive. Not the same sseating position or anything.

The 1.4 feels more fun, and faster than the 1.6, and the Derv is much faster (not that much slower than the VXR really), but they are no-where near as fun, nor as direct as the VXR. Plus the seats arn't half as good as the VXR.

And we know why there are so many miserable people driving to work these days now. Both cars are so extremly boring and un-entertaining to drive its hard work simply staying awake No wonder everyones angry on the commute driving sheer sheds like these things. Life shouldn't be that boring..

[Edited on 11-08-2010 by Daimo B]
CORSA NUT

11th Aug 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well looks like i need to drive one then
Daimo B

11th Aug 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They really are good fun little cars.

On a day to day basis, realistically, I think i'd own the Focus ST. Its better and more refined.

If I just had a car for a bit of fun, short trips to work, and i'd had experience using stripped out cars during the winter etc. Then the VXR will still seem like an immense car as your expectations would be lower

Being a more refined car isn't always a bad thing.

But it is slower than the astra too (and thats worth a poke poke )
Kano

11th Aug 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be a pre facelift one we'd be going for. Much prefer the earlier front end. Either a grey or blue one.

I've driven numerous vxr astras and a couple of ST's and have to say as an all rounder I prefer the ST, much nicer engine to live with and nicer to be in.
Kano

11th Aug 10 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
There is a stunning white one with a huge spec list for sale on mlr just now. It's going for £11k.

Lovely car but will more than likely be going through a dealer to save me having to clear the astras finance etc. Just works out much easier for us and theres not much in it between the private and dealer prices from what I've seen.

Missus new job has been confirmed now aswell so going to go and have a wee look around tommorow at a few. Might end up just trading the astra in the way it is if I can get away with it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Focus ST Owners?? 24 database queries in 0.0133770 seconds