corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone involved in music/band management?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone involved in music/band management?
BluKoo

User status: Offline
11th Aug 10 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've recently been appointed position of manager for my mates band, "Three Knots".

They've been asked to play Wizard Festival in two weeks time.

I'm wanting to do everything I can for the band, but I don't wanna forget about anything stupid.

Obviously van hire to transport the gear is first on the agenda.
Then there's insurance for the gear while its away from home.
I'm considdering designing and making up some t-shirts for them to wear either up on stage, or afterwards in the campsite.

Do any of you have any ideas on what else I should be covering?

Any help would be appreciated
mattk

11th Aug 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beer.

I shouldnt think they need T-Shirts making for when their on stage, bands with their own t-shirts on look a mess to me

they should have their fav bands t shirts on
BluKoo

11th Aug 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did think it might look a little cheesy, but if each one was different, and in different colours it might look a little better. Really undecided on that as it could just be an unnecessary expense.
Joe

11th Aug 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Band in matching T-shirts would look mega shit, I wouldn't take them seriosly.
Jambo

11th Aug 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate was one for years
adiohead

11th Aug 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance and van hire is going to cost quite a bit.

Are they (and you) getting paid?
Ingham
Banned

11th Aug 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I manage to be entertained by elastic bands for a few hours.
BluKoo

11th Aug 10 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Band in matching T-shirts would look mega shit, I wouldn't take them seriosly.

As i said, they wouldn't be matching.
Its more for after the performance. Could be good for networking etc.

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Insurance and van hire is going to cost quite a bit.

Are they (and you) getting paid?

They're not getting paid for this. Obviously we get free entry to the festival along with a few guest passes. Its a good opportunity for them too.

They get paid for all their other gigs, and they've been saving that up, so hopefully they'll have enough to cover the cost.
Dom

11th Aug 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be doing the role of a tour manager/bands manager/pa, but the main priorities is the transport of gear/equipment and band members/personnel to and from the venue and most importantly know the exactly details of the venues/slot - obviously the slot time, the situ regarding setup (get the details regarding sound-checking) and load-in, if you're gear sharing (common at small venues and festivals) then what’s the situ with that, if you're using the house FOH/monitor engineer then make sure he knows/they know of any special requirements regarding mix/gear (always handy to have a list of all of your gear and the connections, XLR/Jack/Phono, Mono/Stereo etc), details of backstage/gear storage and lastly band requirements (no doubt you'll be looking after them )

And if you're going to be selling merch and you're interested in taking Credit Card payments, then look at Square (https://squareup.com/) - it allows you to do credit card processing using iOS (ipad, iphone, ipod touch) or Android device.

Also i'd spend a few minutes having a look at Andy Reynolds (tour manager/ex-roadie) website, http://livemusicbusiness.com/, as there's a fair amount of info on there.

[Edited on 11-08-2010 by Dom]
BluKoo

11th Aug 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spot on - Cheers Dom!
sand-eel

11th Aug 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Roadies/prostitutes?
Dom

11th Aug 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Roadies/prostitutes?

think you're getting some jailbait groupie mixed up with a middle-aged beard featuring bloke aka a roadie

Blu - Oh, stick to your time slot and set list and make sure your band knows this. Unless there is time in the slot, no encores/'one mores' as it won't do you any favours with the venue managers and engineers.
sand-eel

11th Aug 10 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shite it was groupie I was thinking of.
mattk

11th Aug 10 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you need any techs? Im free this weekend
Dom

11th Aug 10 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
do you need any techs? Im free this weekend

AHAHA

Need a Roadie or FOH/monitor engineer?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

12th Aug 10 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
You'll be doing the role of a tour manager/bands manager/pa, but the main priorities is the transport of gear/equipment and band members/personnel to and from the venue and most importantly know the exactly details of the venues/slot - obviously the slot time, the situ regarding setup (get the details regarding sound-checking) and load-in, if you're gear sharing (common at small venues and festivals) then what’s the situ with that, if you're using the house FOH/monitor engineer then make sure he knows/they know of any special requirements regarding mix/gear (always handy to have a list of all of your gear and the connections, XLR/Jack/Phono, Mono/Stereo etc), details of backstage/gear storage and lastly band requirements (no doubt you'll be looking after them )

And if you're going to be selling merch and you're interested in taking Credit Card payments, then look at Square (https://squareup.com/) - it allows you to do credit card processing using iOS (ipad, iphone, ipod touch) or Android device.

Also i'd spend a few minutes having a look at Andy Reynolds (tour manager/ex-roadie) website, http://livemusicbusiness.com/, as there's a fair amount of info on there.

Need a US bank account and social security number for that.
Ecosse Sport

12th Aug 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Think this only works in the usa unfortunately.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone involved in music/band management? 23 database queries in 0.0852518 seconds