corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job seekers allowance and part-time work??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job seekers allowance and part-time work??
Fozzy

User status: Offline
16th Aug 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, wondered if you could help?

Was made redundant about six weeks ago after two years employment. I am due to start university in october, and am currently claiming job seekers allowance. I have today found temp work through an agency, although have been advised there is no guarantee on what hours I will be working each week (could be one day, few days etc.).

I understand I am allowed to work 16 hours a week whilst claiming JSA, but that any money over the first £5 I earn will be deducted from my allowance. Therefore, if I work just one day, I would be technically better off sitting at home and not working.

The thing that baffles me about this is that my allowance is paid on a day rate, where as the money deducted from my allowance will be taken as soon as it is earned. For example, I work one day and lose a full weeks worth of allowance? Ah well, guess I should have expected that from this country eh?

The question is, what should I do about signing off? My hours may or may not be more than 16 per week, so I do not actually know whether I meet the criteria or not. If I sign off, then end up without any work at all I will be waiting weeks to set up a new claim. If I continue to claim, it will no doubt be classed as fraud somehow. What will happen if I "forget" to sign off?

Before anyone starts slating me, I have never claimed any benefits in my life before now, and do not intend to for much longer, just seems an awkward situation and I could do with a bit of advice

Cheers.
Ingham
Banned

16th Aug 10 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot to sign off and nothing happened, they just sign you off anyway. Just set up a rapid reclaim if you wish to.
Matty SRi

16th Aug 10 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You put down that your working under 16 hours, so you are still claiming JSA, and if you do over 16 hours for 1 week, you just ring them up and they do it in such a way that u wont get paid for that week, but will do the next week... if you get me?
been through it all before mate
Fozzy

16th Aug 10 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty SRi
You put down that your working under 16 hours, so you are still claiming JSA, and if you do over 16 hours for 1 week, you just ring them up and they do it in such a way that u wont get paid for that week, but will do the next week... if you get me?
been through it all before mate

I just feel that if I phone them up and explain, they will then stop my claim and I may end up waiting weeks for another payment if I do not get continuous work? I have no faith in the system at all, it seems the genuine people are the ones that get screwed the most. I mean by working one day a week I would actually be worse off than sitting doing nothing??

What would happen to me if I "forgot" to tell them I was now working unknown hours?

How would they sign me off, by which I mean how would they know to?

[Edited on 16-08-2010 by Fozzy]
Twiggy

16th Aug 10 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to show pay slips when i advised i was working 12hrs a week... I ended up with around £10 a week JSA. Now after i had driven into town 10 miles round trip. paid to park etc it was not really worth it. But it was another was of looking for work

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job seekers allowance and part-time work?? 23 database queries in 0.0208521 seconds