corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Deepest Oil Well in the World...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Deepest Oil Well in the World...
jmepamplin

User status: Offline
12th Sep 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuel companies make the majority of profits through exploration not the retail of the oil on 'the street'
Tomnova16
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad tried explaing the electrical diagrams for a rig he did in the north sea. Name escapes me.
I do not know how he does it. Couldn't get my head round it
Oh he's an electrical engineer designer think he is working alongside bp at moment.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
AK

12th Sep 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jmepamplin
Fuel companies make the majority of profits through exploration not the retail of the oil on 'the street'

what the hell?

How on earth does a company make money from exploration? Exploration is expense - exploration is looking for oil.
stuartmitchell

12th Sep 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK thats ace! Thanks for the pics mate
Fee

12th Sep 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i would have thought oil companies make money by selling the oil they find...not by looking for it
Colin

12th Sep 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100k BPD producer according to the Shell website, wish we still pumped that much, think were struggling to do 24-25k a day just now, should be back up to 30k+ when I go back on with a new subsea well thats being commissioned.

Matt H

12th Sep 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

I've been on that, it's fucking HUGE
Matt H

12th Sep 10 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:

what the hell?

How on earth does a company make money from exploration? Exploration is expense - exploration is looking for oil.

Yeah this is bollocks

Eg

BP own the right to the field, they pay to have siesmic work done, then pay a drilling contractor $500,000.00 per day to drill the holes. That's $3.5m per week & it could even end up being a duster. Great way to rake in the money

If there is oil there then the costs upstream to process it aren't cheap either!
alan-g-w

13th Sep 10 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to do the Weirs (ClydeUnion) sea water injection downhole pumps at the drill head. Was mostly North Sea stuff right enough.

I remember a boy I was working with was on a platform helping with the installation of one of the pumps. He watched ,as after they spent about 3/4 of a day putting pipe down the well, someone ended up dropping a 12" shifter. Cue a major operation to reverse the last 6 hours' work to recover said shifter, fucking brilliant.

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by alan-g-w]
Jas

13th Sep 10 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont understand the last comment
alan-g-w

13th Sep 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you mean mine. A well head has an opening of about 3ft diameter and that's pretty much where the hole's been drilled for the oil (not that the drill for oil's 3ft in dia). They feed the corresponding length of pipe down into the hole which takes fucking ages. A guy dropped a shifting spanner down the pipe which mean that if it gets pumped up into the separation filters and shit it'll fuck stuff up. So they had to take all the pipe out, something like half a mile at that point and recover this spanner.

[Edited on 13-09-2010 by alan-g-w]
jmepamplin

13th Sep 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What i mean is the exploration side to the business. Most people only saw BP as a petrol station and fleet of tankers. I should really of quoted the comment on the previous page.

In theory most of the oil stored on tanker ships is sold long before it reaches shore. Hence exploration profit.

I work for BP
stuartmitchell

13th Sep 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
quote:
Originally posted by AK

I've been on that, it's fucking HUGE

Is it Heerema Marine Contractors that own that one mate?

Where you working now bud? Any jobs going?
Fee

13th Sep 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What i mean is the exploration side to the business. Most people only saw BP as a petrol station and fleet of tankers. I should really of quoted the comment on the previous page.

In theory most of the oil stored on tanker ships is sold long before it reaches shore. Hence exploration profit.

I work for BP

I still don't think it makes sense

Exploration is one of the biggest expenses an oil company incurs
Production and sales is where they make their money
alan-g-w

13th Sep 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What he's trying to say is that without exploration there's no production or sales. As in exploration comes up with the product, which in turn gets sold to make money.
jmepamplin

13th Sep 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes thanks, why couldn't i say it simply like that.

The retail side of oil companie actually make a small loss to the business, not the massive profits you would expect.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Deepest Oil Well in the World... 24 database queries in 0.0274189 seconds