corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » minimotos and petrol scooters

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author minimotos and petrol scooters
Eck
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Oct 10 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually don't mind the laws as that's just it... the law. I admit when I first got mine we took it up to an unused industrial estate and gave it hell But there are no houses close by so there's no real fear of the police turning up. But Kartstart is 10 minutes away and they have moto days every Sunday. Believe me, the helmet and gloves are a saviour. Coming off at high speeds would be a hell of a lot sorer otherwise!!
oceansoul

26th Oct 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
quote:
Originally posted by mattk
what the fuck gives the police the right to just take it from you, only the British would put up with such a stupid law

Because the Government made laws under the Police Reform Act 2007. The main issue is that alot of the public consider them as anti-social - tearing up and down residential streets at all hours. If you enjoy them, you dont see it as a problem, but if you don't....

To compare it to something as irritating - if your neighbour had put their stereo on full chat at 10pm last night, or 7am this morning, while you were trying to sleep then you would be annoyed by it. Old people (without stereotyping, they are generally reporting it to Police where i work) feel the same about the bikes.

The laws also changed a few yrs ago about what is classed as a public place, and therefore what can be done on car parks etc. I learnt to drive in my dad's Sapphire Cosworth 11yrs ago, driving round Safeay carpark. Never when busy, and never a problem. This now would be no insurance, no licence etc.

I nearly wiped a mini moto out outside my house - 10pm, black helmet, black clothes racing up and down at 30mph+. He would have gone straight under the 4x4 we had at the time. Thats why they arent allowed on the roads - becuase of idiots.

And to those who think I am a miserable arse about this stuff - my lad has a go-kart powered by a mini- moto engine. Built by me and my father-in-law. Does 30 mph. He, however, rides it on private land and only where safe /sensible and with hat, gloves and an adult. Mini motos arent a nuisance. Just idiots who use them inappropriately.

Crush the idiots that use them inapproptiately then. Problem solved.
Twiggy

26th Oct 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I come off one of these few years back on gravel... It was my mates so was trying not to drop it. I ended up using my knees like stablisers on a kids bike. Clean through a pair of jeans and still have the scares
gtitim

26th Oct 10 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brother's mate went on my brother's before i chopped it up for a gokart. He hit a wall at nearly 30mph. Blue light run to hospital and arm in plaster. Oops.
bubble

26th Oct 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold on.

the police will take it off you for having no insurance, but there isnt a company that can offer an insurance policy?
John

26th Oct 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would insure it if it was road legal.
gtitim

26th Oct 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed - the offence is driving a motor vehicle on a road without valid third party insurance. Motor vehicle is defined as powered by steam / electricity / Petrol / Diesel / Oil / Gas. Certain things such as mobility scooters have exemptions. Some mini-motos are capable of being MOT'd - ie have lights, speedo etc, however they would have to be SVA'd or the new equivalent and the costs are stupid. Therefore people don't bother.

Most mini motos are dealt with by Section 59.

Imagine someone riding a moped with no licence / insurance / mot on pavements or around housing estate - 99% of people would think 'bloody idiot' and that they would deserve everything they get. Now shrink that moped, re-name it a mini-moto and there's no difference.

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by gtitim]
Eck
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mini moto's are faster though
gtitim

26th Oct 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Mini moto's are faster though

And the rider's head is at just the right height to collect with the front bumper of a car, just like I nearly did to the clown riding his up my house in a black helmet and jacket in the dark, on a bike with no lights.
Eck
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm aware of the dangers, hence wearing my helmet It's fucking freaky because the helmet obscures the view below your visor so it's like your floating about two feet from the ground

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by Eck]
alan-g-w

26th Oct 10 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
Indeed - the offence is driving a motor vehicle on a road without valid third party insurance. Motor vehicle is defined as powered by steam / electricity / Petrol / Diesel / Oil / Gas. Certain things such as mobility scooters have exemptions. Some mini-motos are capable of being MOT'd - ie have lights, speedo etc, however they would have to be SVA'd or the new equivalent and the costs are stupid. Therefore people don't bother.

Most mini motos are dealt with by Section 59.

Imagine someone riding a moped with no licence / insurance / mot on pavements or around housing estate - 99% of people would think 'bloody idiot' and that they would deserve everything they get. Now shrink that moped, re-name it a mini-moto and there's no difference.

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by gtitim]

That last paragraph - it's nothing like a moped, that's like saying a car's the same as a go-kart. As in I know which I'd rather be hit by.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » minimotos and petrol scooters 23 database queries in 0.0138431 seconds