corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Tropical/marine people

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tropical/marine people
WATSON

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 10 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im selling up my rio 300 tropical setup to jump into the marine stuff, Ive just put a deposit on a large custom 78 x 24 x 15 tank and stand..

Im pretty worried regards to the weigh of the new tank and our floor? We are a ground floor house so no worries of the tank going into someone elses house but i really dont want the floor to start falling in ect.

Anyone else have large tanks ect? what did you do?

Thanks.
ssj_kakarot

4th Nov 10 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your that worried, rip floor up, re-enforce with more joists, put floor back down, crisis averted

depends on a load of things, materials, age of house build ect.

if you look on ultimatereefs im sure theres something to work out the weight of a tank when full
AdamF
Premium Member

4th Nov 10 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 90x12x90 marine tank and stand but the floor is concrete.

the only way to do it is to pull the floor boards up and reinforce the joists etc as already said.

but dont cut or cut big bits out of the original joists as depending on the house age they will be serving a structual purpose
drunkenfool

4th Nov 10 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends which way the joists lie, you may be fine as it is. I'd get a structural engineer or similar in to check it first.
The tank above has a volume of 450 litres so at 1.026sg it would weigh 462kg. I take it you are also having a sump too? What are the dimensions of that?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

4th Nov 10 at 16:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
The tank above has a volume of 450 litres so at 1.026sg it would weigh 462kg.

I'm not quite sure where you got those figures Matt, 1 litre of water weighs 1kg as it has a SG of 1.00?

Therefore 450 litres will be 450kg, although there'll obviously be the weight of the tank and stand etc to add to that.
chloe16v

5th Nov 10 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a 6x2.5x2 and then a 8x2x2 tank, both sumped, they was sat on a wooden floor sitting across the joists, if you are worried though, lift the floor boards and put some concreate blocks under the joists to support them, saving for a 30x30x30 now
chloe16v

5th Nov 10 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sorry tom but drunkenfool is right, it would weigh 462kg, an then you would idealy need at least 49kg of live rock, then they is the weight of the sump and water if you are having one, then the tank and stand, then all the equipement, metal halides ect you will be looking at it all weighing around the ton mark

[Edited on 05-11-2010 by chloe16v]
drunkenfool

5th Nov 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
The tank above has a volume of 450 litres so at 1.026sg it would weigh 462kg.

I'm not quite sure where you got those figures Matt, 1 litre of water weighs 1kg as it has a SG of 1.00?

Therefore 450 litres will be 450kg, although there'll obviously be the weight of the tank and stand etc to add to that.

1 litre of water weighs 1kg, yeah, but 1 litre of salty water at the right salinity to sustain marine life is denser due to the salt.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 10 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough Matt, that makes sense

New Poll