corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Student houses. New question pg2!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Student houses. New question pg2!
ashleh

User status: Offline
16th Nov 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You at uni in notts?
antnee

16th Nov 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, Coventry
stuartmitchell

17th Nov 10 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GF-91
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Sam
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by antnee
For the people that have lived in student houses where bills aren't included, what were you paying roughly?

cash

Saying cash doesn't even make sense

As Faz make sure you know your landlord, meet them face to face before signing, have their address and contact numbers (preferable mobile and house number). And keep numbers to hand (in mobile etc) in case of an emergency.
Also if you have PAYG leccy, keep an eye on the meter as it's not good if you have a leccy shower and the money runs out half way through

yes it does.

E.g.

These kids see what doms got under the bonnet and they come here and they pay cash. *

See?

* Not a direct fast and furious quote.

All you do is talk shite on here mate. He asked 'how much are people paying ROUGHLY'. As in asking for an amount. 'Cash' is not an amount.

No he didn't. He asked what were we paying roughly. I gave him an exact answer rather than a rough one though, cash. cold hard cash.

I see you are still a complete dickhead!
antnee

25th Nov 10 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres one agent we have looked at a few houses with, but we are not sure if they are trying to con us a bit over payments

Its a 10month contract

350 deposit
60 admin fee
1 months rent as a 'summer retainer'
then the normal 10months rent

Now is the summer retainer normal? As we aren't in the house already and the retainer is for this summer coming (before we move in). Seems a little dodgy to me
Simon

25th Nov 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go and knock on the door of the hosue you are looking at, speak to the guys there and get the landlords number. Phone him and rent directly through him. I have done this for last 3 places I've rented, saved loads of money, haven't had to deal with cunt con men estate agents and you get things sorted 10x quicker dealing directly with landlord
purcell7

25th Nov 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Antnee what you doing in Cov?? I'm a third year doing Auto eng design, on placement at the mo, lived up earlsdon last year!
antnee

25th Nov 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorsport Eng
Dom

25th Nov 10 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Theres one agent we have looked at a few houses with, but we are not sure if they are trying to con us a bit over payments

Its a 10month contract

350 deposit
60 admin fee

Now is the summer retainer normal? As we aren't in the house already and the retainer is for this summer coming (before we move in). Seems a little dodgy to me

Deposit seems a bit pricey considering there is 10 of you.
The 'summer retainer' is common, but you want to read the contract to know exactly what that entails - sometimes it just stops the landlords renting it out over summer, somestimes it means you can stay at the house for short periods of time during summer sometimes it means that excessive building work won't be carried out during that period.

Rest of it seems fairly common for an agency. But as said, see if you can find out who the landlord is and go through them directly.

Also check contracts regarding friends staying over, landlords can get arsey about that (although i've never experienced it personally).
ashleh

26th Nov 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Its a 10month contract

350 deposit
60 admin fee

Sounds about right, out deposit was 250 each for 6 of us. And ive had countless people stop over, the landlords dont really check up on us.
chrisritch

26th Nov 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Motorsport Eng

saxo_tom is doing that course at Cov
GF-91
Banned

26th Nov 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell

I see you are still a complete dickhead!

tom130691
Premium Member

26th Nov 10 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
quote:
Motorsport Eng

i was just about to say this
charcoalgrill

26th Nov 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid £50-60 a month, but there was a period when it snowed and the heating was on all the time, so a £300 bill came in.
THat was 5 of us ina crap 1930's un-insulated house with alot of wooden single glazed windows.

I now live in a modern flat with 1 other and pay about £30 each.

The more people you have the more hassle it is, so best to arrange a shared account to start off with. My old housemate owed me £200, I chased him for 4 months..

Landlords get students by charging them July-July (admittedly at a lesser figure), but students dont usually occupy until September.. If the landloard really wants to get rid of it closer to a date they will skip the summer payments.

Hope that helps?
antnee

27th Nov 10 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tom, what year you in?
saj_123

27th Nov 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am at Uni atm, my rent is £325 although this is due to the shear size of the house and bathrooms. Bills are high although this is understandable due to the size of the house and the fact that 6 of us live here.

The average spent on bills a month is usually around £40-50 a month, which is including everything. Breakdown as follows:

Gas and Electricity - £35pp (Due to my housemates having the heating on all the time and the fact we have 4 PS3 and 5 Televisions and 6 laptops)

Internet is £7.50pp a month (Virgin 50mb internet, telephone line and basic TV)

Water is usually around £8pp.

Television license is something like £3 a month.

Highest bill will be gas and electric although some houses have pay as go meters which are more expensive, I am currently with Southern Electric and on quarterly bills so our next bill is approximated at around £650-800 for the house from October- end of January.
LeeM

27th Nov 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
quote:
Motorsport Eng

i was just about to say this

im doing it at blackpool

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Student houses. New question pg2! 23 database queries in 0.0117371 seconds