corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone doubting Trechii car parts on Ebay

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone doubting Trechii car parts on Ebay
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
29th Nov 10 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I needed a head gasket set for the XE last week but was faced with the prospect of only having my jobseekers allowance to cover it. So the obvious bet was onto Ebay for it - I ended up coming across THIS set and went about asking the guy what make the parts are. I was expecting him to come back with a reply saying that the stuff's made in Taiwan or similair but he said the stuff is FAI but some of the packaging might be under their export name 'CAMTEC'. I was expecting the cheapest of the cheap for the amount I paid - for anyone that didn't click the link it was £43 delivered for an early XE head set + bolts - but this is what I was met with:

Shite quality pic because it was taken with my webcam, but it's all FAI stuff by the looks of things. Includes head gasket, inlet mani gasket, exhaust mani gasket (metal), cam seals, 16 valve guides, thermostat + housing O ring seals, 16 head bolts and a rocket cover gasket.

From the local motor factors down the road (Andy Watts) they were wanting £50 for the gasket set alone then something like 81p each for the bolts. I know that FAI isn't the best of the best, but for me with my standard engine it'll be more than fine.

This is the second time I've used them and both times it couldn't have gone more smooth. The guy was dead quick answering my question plus in the ad it says 5-7 working days for delivery, only took 3 though! I cannot recommend them enough, for anyone needing to fix their car quickly on a budget this is the place to go.
ianofbhills

29th Nov 10 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairplay as long as your happy with it.

I'm doing the same thing on mine at the moment it must be head gasket season.
I got my bits from autovaux comprising of full elring headset, genuine gm bolts, 5 litres gm 10/40 oil and gm oil filter delivered the next day by courier for just over £60 which i thought was good.

Just need the bloody snow to stop now so i can fit it. Are you going to get your head skimmed/pressure tested as well?
alan-g-w

29th Nov 10 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a brilliant price, I would have gone for that ideally but just couldn't afford the extra unfortunately.

I'm going to go out and see how flat the head is, not going to get it skimmed if it looks OK. If it's needed I've got friends in the place I used to work who should be able to do it for a bottle hopefully. I'm heading out just now to get the inlet gasket fitted, gonna look like the Michelin man with all my layers on!
ianofbhills

29th Nov 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck its way too cold for me to start.

Also did you manage to get the head off with the inlet manifold still attached?

Thats my plan then i can do all the stuff to the head inside and in the warmth.
ianofbhills

29th Nov 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is yours a coscast head as well?

Mine isn't although i've had no issues with coolant in the oil i'm going to do the porous mod whilst its off as a preventative measure.
alan-g-w

29th Nov 10 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate inlet still attached. First time I took the head off one in a corsa I took it off first but this time I've left everything right up to the throttle body + ecotec pipe attached and it came off fine.

Unfortunately it's not coscast, don't know about doing the porous head mod since I'm just wanting to get the thing back together asap! If I had more time I'd be up for it, might need to take my mate up to Aberdeen on Friday though. Didn't have any coolant in the oil anyway, it blew between 3+4.

Take it you're doing it in a garage? I've not got that luxury, the thing's sitting out in the street, on a hill with the head just resting on top of the block. It's all been cleaned up ready for it for the last week or so now so I'm just going to beast it over the next couple of days hopefully.
connollygt30

29th Nov 10 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a pressure test not show up a porus head?
alan-g-w

29th Nov 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably, would be a very small loss I'd imagine.
ianofbhills

29th Nov 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing mine in the street as well. I dont need the car though so i'm waiting for the snow to clear off.

The porous thing is actually the head cracking and its most likely to occur when tightening down the head. You can have the head pressure tested fine then it cracks when you fit it. Its well worth doing the mod on a none coscast head whilst its off imo. Its only an 8mm tube pushed in to sleeve the problem area. I know your skint but the last thing you want is it going again and the mod only costs a few quid.
alan-g-w

29th Nov 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a fair point mate but it's just getting the parts together since the corsa's my daily driver. I'll look into it, my dad's garage is like Aladin's cave so I might find something of use in there!

[Edited on 29-11-2010 by alan-g-w]
ianofbhills

29th Nov 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably pushing it for time as well if your possibly needing it for Friday. Just whack it back together and hopefully you'll get no bother then when your in a better position financially you can sort things out.

Bit of a baptism of fire though a maiden voyage up to Aberdeen in this weather
alan-g-w

29th Nov 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate a bit, at least I know the head gasket won't go though knowing my luck the gearbox will just explode instead.

Ended up not even going out to it today, it's getting dark already. Barely above freezing temps aren't made any better by lack of light, I fucking hate this shit.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone doubting Trechii car parts on Ebay 23 database queries in 0.0121431 seconds