corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Volvo XC90

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Volvo XC90
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 11 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been looking at these and they are pretty well priced for the spec, does anyone have some first hand experience with them? Would be the 2.4d pre 2005
CORSA NUT

2nd Jan 11 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have just sold one in work and it was a belter! Pretty huge in comparison to other 4x4's though IMO as we have an X5 asd a Disco in too.

There popular for a reason
Tomnova16
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hve worked on a few and my customers have said they are brilliant cars.
seats are pretty nice too and they do drive well
it is in my list of 4x4 decisions but i just have to get my head around it being a volvo

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Tomnova16
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no idea if they have any problems though sorry

CORSA NUT

2nd Jan 11 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah one thing i really noticed was the lack of roll etc etc still massive though
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jan 11 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go through phases of liking these and they do a V8 as well. They're a bit ugly from a few angles though.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-Volvo-XC90-T6-SE-AWD-Damaged-Repairable-Salvage-/230487606269?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35aa21c3fd

Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jan 11 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not all that cheap with what looks like an electronics fault.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be for someone in the n
know

Robin
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you ill?
Richardhhha

2nd Jan 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stearns well away from the t6 they are more of a pain than anything, they do a 4.4 v8 but that will do 150 mileage to a tank if your lucky, they also do the v8 in the s80 as they are the only cars in the Volvo range with a large enough engine bay,

Things to look out for, once on test drive listen for a hammering sound from the rear end normaly turned out to be the propshaft which are almost 1k, the rear diffs can fail and leak which are expensive to fix, they have inherent suspension problems, front a frame bushs will split like a mofo and there ain't a thing you can do to solve it.. the top engine mounts split so check them but only the old style, if its a box type with what looks like the bush is just floating they are the modified ones and they can't split,
Gearbox torque rods will go because they are a crap design, suspension spring seats will tare but they have come out with the modified version which are good, the center to rear exhaust brackets rot off the exhaust but a clamp can be supplied from Volvo to fix this, oh swirl throttle break often but they have a fixing kit for them, but if they break again its a bit of a laborious job changing it, and I'd advise a Volvo dealer doing it, they wear front types away on the inside edge due to there camber issues, oh and check the oil level as all d5 from early 2005 need a ecm diesel upgrade due to Volvo cocking up and programming to car to over fuel and its bore washes so the oil level raises... should he 2 x below max but check with a local dealer for info on the car as they all have It on file..

[Edited on 02-01-2011 by Richardhhha]
allza

2nd Jan 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seem quite nice to drive but I had to change a fuel pump on one once and what a ball ache that was to do!
antnee

2nd Jan 11 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some from around 04-06 (I think) had a re-call for steering arm ball joints being replaced as they were snapping
richc

2nd Jan 11 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chased one around the ring in a remapped astra gsi. My god it was quick

Didnt handle to bad either, was a d5 one! Made us look silly untill we got onto the final straight where we blitzed it!
Rich H

2nd Jan 11 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That silver one is about 20 mins down the road from me

I don't know much about them I'm afraid other than they are a lot of car for the money and very well screwed together.
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hummmm deffo won't be a v8 have the m5 to fulfill my v8 noise and fuel consumption needs! Not sure about them, they do seem to tick all the right boxes, would most likely replace the jetta as a family car, huge step back on the power front tho....
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hummmm one with electrical faults sounds like a plan!
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks good info there!

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
Stearns well away from the t6 they are more of a pain than anything, they do a 4.4 v8 but that will do 150 mileage to a tank if your lucky, they also do the v8 in the s80 as they are the only cars in the Volvo range with a large enough engine bay,

Things to look out for, once on test drive listen for a hammering sound from the rear end normaly turned out to be the propshaft which are almost 1k, the rear diffs can fail and leak which are expensive to fix, they have inherent suspension problems, front a frame bushs will split like a mofo and there ain't a thing you can do to solve it.. the top engine mounts split so check them but only the old style, if its a box type with what looks like the bush is just floating they are the modified ones and they can't split,
Gearbox torque rods will go because they are a crap design, suspension spring seats will tare but they have come out with the modified version which are good, the center to rear exhaust brackets rot off the exhaust but a clamp can be supplied from Volvo to fix this, oh swirl throttle break often but they have a fixing kit for them, but if they break again its a bit of a laborious job changing it, and I'd advise a Volvo dealer doing it, they wear front types away on the inside edge due to there camber issues, oh and check the oil level as all d5 from early 2005 need a ecm diesel upgrade due to Volvo cocking up and programming to car to over fuel and its bore washes so the oil level raises... should he 2 x below max but check with a local dealer for info on the car as they all have It on file..

[Edited on 02-01-2011 by Richardhhha]
alan t

2nd Jan 11 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

our work has just become a volvo dealer in the last few months, from the master tech that joined us the d5 engines seem to be pretty shit hot, as someone has said before the swirl pot actuators seem to break alot but there is modified pins availible for them to stop this happening.

if i was getting one i would try and get a auto mate, the d5 auto ones are lovely to drive!
alan t

2nd Jan 11 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on another note since we've been doing volvo we seem to be replacing an awful lot of wheelbearings, v50's, v70's and xc90's. most of them come as a hub so is just a case of unbolting old one and bolting new one on but defo worth while checking if you goto look at one

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Volvo XC90 24 database queries in 0.1017871 seconds