corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » And how much taxpayer money did that waste?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author And how much taxpayer money did that waste?!
emicen

User status: Offline
14th Jan 11 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/briton-convicted-throwing-snowball-20110112-134310-145.html

quote:
A British court on Wednesday convicted a man of assault and placed him under a two-week curfew for throwing a snowball at a female police officer.

Dean Smith was shopping with his family before Christmas in the town of Swadlincote, central England, when he chucked the snowball at the officer.

The 31-year-old pleaded guilty to common assault at the court in Derby, central England. He was handed a 14-day curfew and ordered to pay 85 pounds (134 dollars, 102 euros) costs.

Before his conviction, Smith said he thought it had been a joke when police turned up at his door several days after he threw the snowball.

"I couldn't understand it. When they took me to the police station I thought it was a joke at first," said Smith, cited in The Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"How much has all this cost the taxpayer?"

Prosecutors however claimed that Smith had been acting aggressively because of a grudge and pointed out he had previously been convicted for obstructing a police officer.

Under the terms of his curfew, Smith reportedly has to wear an electronic tag and stay at home between 70 pm (1900 GMT) and 70 am (0700 GMT) for the next two weeks.
alan-g-w

14th Jan 11 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a lot of shite.

Exact same story as that idiot with the extinguisher. Just because it's the police they feel they need to make a stand, I'd love to know what this officer's injuries were if they're considering it assault.
John

14th Jan 11 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing more than a bruised ego.
Baskey

14th Jan 11 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So he has already been done for obstructing police, then acts aggressively and throws a snowball at a woman police officer and wonders why he gets nicked. Twat

[Edited on 14-01-2011 by Baskey]
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
What a lot of shite.

Exact same story as that idiot with the extinguisher. Just because it's the police they feel they need to make a stand, I'd love to know what this officer's injuries were if they're considering it assault.

right, yes the snowball stood as much chance as killing someone as that fire extinguisher did
John

14th Jan 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My uncle knows someone that was killed by a snowball.
Sam
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, I'm going to the police and providing them a list of names and addresses of people I've ever had snowball fights with.

Who's going to have the last laugh now eh!
Brett
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should go and report those penny pinching bastards, Sam
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon if he'd thrown it at a male police officer then nothing would have happened.

Women dont like this sort of thing because they are hormonal.

No place for female officers IMO
Cavey

14th Jan 11 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it was a waste of time, but....

The guy was utter scum though.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Dad-hit-police-officer-snowball-tried-blame-son/article-3096650-detail/article.html
alan-g-w

14th Jan 11 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
What a lot of shite.

right, yes the snowball stood as much chance as killing someone as that fire extinguisher did

Fuck off mate, I mean the fact that it is something to do with the police directly means they're going to persue it much more strictly than they would if it was just another member of the public.

Imagine someone went in to their local police station and started with 'I'd like to report an assault'. The officer behind the desk gets their pad out, asks the person what the assault was and they hit out with 'some wee dick hit me with a snowball up the town'. They'd get laughed out of the place and told not to waste their time.

Do you think that if the police were walking down the street and one member of the public hit another with a snowball they'd lift them and charge them with assault? Me neither.

Got to agree with John's first comment tbh. Not so sure on the second...
Sam
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

If you mean the petrol station, no I am considering going back to fill up with petrol next week and paying in one pence coins.

4,000 pence

I think I will need to phone the bank up and see if they'll let me order that amount of change in!
emicen

14th Jan 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Few years back we had a big fall of snow in Glasgow, people stranded and having to sleep in churches and clubs etc.

Me and my mate were watching the Police trying to break up a fracas outside the Sports Cafe and joined in the mass snow ball fight that was going on and lobbed a few long bombs over the road. Then my mate threw one, and it was one of those ones as soon as he threw it, we knew it was going to end badly. Caught a female police woman on the back of the head right between where her helmet ended and her jacket started.

After trying the casual turn around and shuffle away, we realised her colleagues were chasing us and after getting thrown against a wall and given the choice of "fuck off home NOW or you're getting a nicked" with his hand on his gas, we left sharpish
Brett
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
If you mean the petrol station, no I am considering going back to fill up with petrol next week and paying in one pence coins.

4,000 pence

I think I will need to phone the bank up and see if they'll let me order that amount of change in!

nathy_87

14th Jan 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Police need to make them self noticed somehow no?

PMSL at Steve's comment:

quote:
Women dont like this sort of thing because they are hormonal.

No place for female officers IMO

Sam
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett!
Graham88

14th Jan 11 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's nice to know that proper criminals are being brought to justice....

sand-eel

14th Jan 11 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He is a proper criminal, the shoplifting bit?
The guy is a grade A twat anyway.
fir3vip3r

14th Jan 11 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
What a lot of shite.

Fuck off mate, I mean the fact that it is something to do with the police directly means they're going to persue it much more strictly than they would if it was just another member of the public.

Imagine someone went in to their local police station and started with 'I'd like to report an assault'. The officer behind the desk gets their pad out, asks the person what the assault was and they hit out with 'some wee dick hit me with a snowball up the town'. They'd get laughed out of the place and told not to waste their time.

Do you think that if the police were walking down the street and one member of the public hit another with a snowball they'd lift them and charge them with assault? Me neither.

I've taken crime reports for members of public that have been hit with snowballs. It is assault in the eyes of the law.

and yes every time snow falls we get inundated with complaints of people throwing snowballs.
saj_123

14th Jan 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can somewhat understand a complaint for snowballs but in the eyes of the Law if you say something threatening and they have a immediate fear for there personal safety this constitutes an assault.
Tiesto

14th Jan 11 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw this on the news the other day. Apparently the police women tried to claim the snowball injured her shoulder and was traumatised by the ordeal
Ste
Premium Member

14th Jan 11 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

4,000 pence

I'm sure they can refuse if you try and spend more than 27p in pennies. there is some old rule but can't find it

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
sc0ott

14th Jan 11 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh its only a snowball. What if the guy jizzed on her face.
alan-g-w

14th Jan 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
quote:
quote:
quote:
What a lot of shite.

I've taken crime reports for members of public that have been hit with snowballs. It is assault in the eyes of the law.

and yes every time snow falls we get inundated with complaints of people throwing snowballs.

What percentage of these reports actually end up in someone being charged with assault though?
fir3vip3r

14th Jan 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
quote:
quote:
quote:
What a lot of shite.

What percentage of these reports actually end up in someone being charged with assault though?

Not a lot seeing as theres usually no evidence to prove it happened etc. but its still investigated.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » And how much taxpayer money did that waste?! 24 database queries in 0.0131979 seconds