corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Rome

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rome
SetH

User status: Offline
17th Jan 11 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone been?

Just booked a couple of nights end of the Month for my Birthday in Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese Hotel.

Probably a lot to fit into 2 days, but effectively will be a sight seeing break so to speak.

Any tip? lessons learned from those that have been?

Thanks.
ed

17th Jan 11 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a dirty shit hole full of prostitutes.
DannyB
Premium Member

17th Jan 11 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You're going to love it
stan_the_man

17th Jan 11 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive stayed there for 4 months.

Amazing place. Two days is not enough time to see even half of it.

What would you like to know?
SetH

17th Jan 11 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far is the airport for centre of Rome? best way of getting there? Taxi or?

If you had to cram some highlights into 2 days what would you reccomend? I would go longer but cant take the time off from work.
stan_the_man

17th Jan 11 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which airport are you flying to? Ciampino or Fiumicino?

Both arent far, but Ciampino is more accessible by Metro and/or Bus.

Things to see:

Colosseum
Trevi Fountain
Vatican (pay to walk up to the top of the tower and you can see over the whole of Rome)

To be fair, there is that much stuff to see, you will have a great time and see plenty no matter what you do.

I'll dig out some pics of mine.
SetH

17th Jan 11 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fiumicino Airport

Whats eating out like? reccomend anywhere for an evening meal?
Dom

17th Jan 11 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vatican and the Colosseum, both brilliant places and i managed both in a day (was only there for 24hrs before i had to jump on a ship).
stan_the_man

17th Jan 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Fiumicino Airport

Whats eating out like? reccomend anywhere for an evening meal?

Im not so sure on Fiumicino to be honest. Only landed there once and had a lift waiting for me.

Taxi's are readily available though.

Anywhere is good for eating. Its such an easy place to work. The food is always good, and not expensive either. Go a walk in the evening and you'll find somewhere and iI gaurantee you will like it.

Whats the address of the hotel?
Fonz
Premium Member

17th Jan 11 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last Sunday of the month VAtican city is free to get into FTW , when i went i was out and out by 0730 and still had a two out que FTL

it is a great place though, i loved it. the group i went with all agreed on a simple but effective itinery
day 1 - Colosseum and Forum, Trevi fountain in the evening
day 2 - Vatican/Spanish Steps
Day 3 - St Peter's Bascillica
SetH

17th Jan 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really? you got there at 7.30am and had a 2 hour queue? Was that in the Summer though?

Stan this is the hotel : http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-1312-sofitel-rome-villa-borghese/index.shtml

Would you say thats walking distance to colleseum and vatican?

Thanks
jacko198

18th Jan 11 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When in rome.....
MatthewR

18th Jan 11 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much did u pay Seth if u dont mind
Cavey

18th Jan 11 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went there in October for 3 nights and had nowhere near enough time to fit everything in.

Colluseum was brilliant, St peters was really cool as well. Spanish steps, for some reason I was expecting more than some steps, was a bit pointless, trevi fountain was nice tho. And the museum by the colloseum was suprisingly impressive.

We didn't bother with the vatican as the queue was insane and would of wasted our entire day.

It's very expensive though, was 70 euros for 2 burgers and chips, a garlic bread and 2 cokes at one place we went! Drinks were 5 quid or so everywhere

Airport wise we flew in to ciampano and it was an hour or so on bus to get to rome, the metro is very good though.

The historic parts of the city are brilliant but the rest of it is dirty and full of graffiti.
SetH

18th Jan 11 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What time did you try to get into the Vatican?

I need to speak to the Cardinals and find out once and for all if Jesus was killed by a Jewish Ginger Person.
Cavey

18th Jan 11 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We stayed in a bnb that was opposite where people queue, went out at 930ish and the queue was from the entrance, all the way round the walls, into st. peters square.

So i'd imagine you'll have to start queing a lot earlier than that! Which we kind of realised anyway, but were on a romantic weekend and wanted a lie in!

It didn't help that when we went the weather was shocking, and didn't want to queue in the rain for hours anyway.

Lots of photos on here if you want any inspiration.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=502502417&aid=254856
Fonz
Premium Member

18th Jan 11 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Really? you got there at 7.30am and had a 2 hour queue? Was that in the Summer though?

we went last weekend in Feb and we were out the hotel by 0730, a walk to the metro, metro across town and then walk to the queue may have killed 30mins, but we were not late there and had a long wait. it moved pretty quick, it didnt feel like it was stationary for 2 hours
i'm not sure how much it costs to get in but the girls i went with were keen to book that weekend as it was saving us some cash. it was completely worth it seeing everything even if it was busy in places!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Rome 23 database queries in 0.0140781 seconds