corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Tax codes and second jobs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tax codes and second jobs
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
11th Feb 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently started a new job, went straight into it from my previous job.

Now on the payment part of my contract for the new job, they asked for my P45, which I didnt have at the time (Turned up yesterday). However, there was a box to tick if I was already in employment elsewhere, which I am.

My second job is a retained firefighter, tax code BR W1, which I understand is the usual code for second jobs, IE no personal allowance.

My previous job tax code was 647L, which meant I got my personal allowance.

However, the tax code for my new job is also BR W1, and I seem to be getting taxed more than the others in my year (Approx £25 less p/week).

Now have the HMRC got my main job down as my second job? This is where I get confused
Cavey

11th Feb 11 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're paying BR on both, you're paying too much.

BR is emergency tax, which I guess they put you on as you didn't have the P45? Get them to sort out your tax code properly and they will/should refund any extra you've paid

(If I've read that all correctly)
Kerry

11th Feb 11 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless your total earnings have pushed you into the next tax bracket your tax code shouldn't change (I didn't think)
ChrisBoom

11th Feb 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill give my P45 to my new employers on monday, hopefully they can sort it out.

Would I be due a refund of any tax come april then?
deano87

11th Feb 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once you give your new 1st job the P45 from your old 1st job your tax code will sort out to 647L.

Depending on your new 1st employees accountant you'll get a tax rebate for what you over paid on BR or you'll have to wait till April.

You can actually get your tax code changed for both jobs by your local tax office. This would be 323L (half 647L) for example, so you pay even tax on both jobs.

Depending on what you earn you may be entitled to a tax rebate from you BR firefighting job.
luciaadr

12th Feb 11 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
You can actually get your tax code changed for both jobs by your local tax office. This would be 323L (half 647L) for example, so you pay even tax on both jobs.

Why the fuck would you want to do that

Just hand new employer P45. Await tax rebate. Sorted.

You will be paying the eqivalent of £6,475 / 12 = £539 * 20% = £107 too much tax currently. Depending how important that is to you (ie wether you can wait to April for a windfall) chase your new payroll dept to sort it out, becasue its them that deducts and can repay the tax. So long as HMRC gets the right amount March 10 - April 11 tehy dont care
ChrisBoom

13th Feb 11 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can probably wait till april for the rebate, but its £100 a month im short on. Ill pop my P45 into them first thing tomorrow morning anyway
Fro

16th Feb 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
Unless your total earnings have pushed you into the next tax bracket your tax code shouldn't change (I didn't think)

Can change if you owe them money too.

They have taken a few k off my tax code because i owe them 300 quid which I 'apparently' have been told about previously
ChrisBoom

18th Feb 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it sorted, got all I overpaid back already too

New Poll