corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who has right of way here

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who has right of way here
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Feb 11 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you would have a fair case for proportioning some of the blame but I wouldn't aim to mitigate it completely, you still need to exercise caution in situations like this.
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 11 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking back i dont even think she was present at the junction when i started the move, i think she appeared as i was going round, looked right didnt bother with left and came out.

not really any more caution i could have attained imo, my caution was to be able to stop in the event of stupidity and i was, so i did enough.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Feb 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blue has right of way, the green isn't even on the same road and should make sure the road he/she is pulling onto is clear (even if someone is overtaking)
whitter45

22nd Feb 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont reckon any of this happened anyway
3CorsaMeal

22nd Feb 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon all three coloured shapes represent plastic model planes and the road layout is on Steve's GF's mums dining table
Ben G

22nd Feb 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how some people in this thread managed to pass their driving test is beyond me

look both ways, the simplest and easiest rule ever...
nathy_87

22nd Feb 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You Steve, as he is at a give way and that Lorry is parked illegally.
adiohead

22nd Feb 11 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe the diagram represents opposing segments of Steve's sexual orientation.

Red = Asexual
Blue = Homosexual
Green = Bisexual
sand-eel

22nd Feb 11 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What so he thinks Asexual is wrong (parked illegally) his brain wants to over take the Asexual and turn him gay and the bisexual turned up, just as a side thought?
Smiffie

22nd Feb 11 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some interesting points coming out, thought i'd put together my answer:

This is from knowledge of IAM and roadcraft driving, and I hope it makes sense!
Please feel free to say if you disagree with anything though

Coming up to this situation, and following the driving system: ‘Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration (as is appropriate, through the hazard)’ and by continuously formulating and changing my driving plan here’s what I’d look to be doing:

INFORMATION:
I see the hazard in front (i.e. the lorry)
(loads of other info on the road also; other road users, road conditions, weather, visibility, speed limit repeater signs etc..)

POSITION:
At the earliest opportunity I will aim to move out to the right hand side, maybe even right out into the other lane to enable me to see as far as I can around the hazard ( checking my mirrors first ‘mirror for course’ )

Scanning the road and formulating my driving plan I would be looking to spot any other hazards around also, other road users, road conditions: wet / dry surfaces etc..

In this scenario I would of course be looking to see the junction to the immediate right of the parked lorry

Now, If we were in a built up area, buildings etc of course it would not be possible to see down this road, and therefore have no idea what’s coming at me – therefore speed right off(!)

- Worth noting that it may be possible to see down the road leading to this junction to see if there is any moving traffic coming towards the junction, traffic that is of course likely to meet me as I get to the hazard (the lorry)

( This view would be more likely if driving through rural areas, looking towards the road over open fields, through any gaps in bushes etc.. )

SPEED:
Having seen the hazards ahead I will be bringing my speed right down, as I approach the hazard (the lorry) my driving plan will be that I will want to bring my speed right down, maybe even to a crawl to come past this lorry

- This is because I either cannot see what is going to come at me from the junction, and so want to slow everything down to give me more time to think, react and change my driving plan accordingly

Even given the rural roads example where I may be able to see down the road an see that there is nothing coming towards me from the junction, I may also see that there is nothing on the other side of the carriage way and an overtake in on - I still want to bring my speed right off before overtaking the lorry in case something comes out from in front of it:

- The driver could be in front of the vehicle performing checks and step out in front of me, any other parked vehicles on front of the lorry could be just about to pull out..

GEAR:
Having brought my speed down to what is appropriate for this hazard, I will now select the right gear for me to be able to proceed with this manoeuvre

ACCELERATION:
Throughout the major part of this scenario this is actually deceleration sense, as I bring my speed right down as I approach the hazard.

Only when I can see the road is clear ahead can I then accelerate, as appropriate through the hazard, and return to my side of the road as soon as it is safe to do so

And as per any manoeuvre on the road, you should always be travelling at a speed and position that enables you to be prepared to stop, in the distance you can see to be clear
(usually this would be on your side of the road, in this instance this part would need to be missed out) as you’re overtaking)

Especially in a built up area: Having slowed right down, even to a crawl to get past this lorry, if the driver in the blue vehicle can see moving vehicle hazards looking to come out from the junction, towards them, as illustrated, it may be appropriate to use your horn or lights to alert them as to your presence in the road

My fingers hurt now from all that typing

Smiffie
:

[Edited on 22-02-2011 by Smiffie]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Feb 11 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or to summarise, exercise caution.
Ronson

22nd Feb 11 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have had right of way as the other car wasn't on that section of road yet and should have waited til you had gone past before pulling out.
John

22nd Feb 11 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Smiffie
Some interesting points coming out, thought i'd put together my answer:

This is from knowledge of IAM and roadcraft driving,

We've already had replies from IAM members, much more concisely.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Who has right of way here 23 database queries in 0.0117769 seconds