corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » corsa 1.6 turbo

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author corsa 1.6 turbo
l15jos

User status: Offline
18th Mar 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rang vaux this morning rods and pistons are £800 all in can get forged ones for 700 so il go 4 them.
AlexW

18th Mar 11 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
quote:
Originally posted by moffat
^ how? a spacer plate does the same job and just run low boost

Wrong, a spacer plate increases the overall height of the block and head once built up, you cant reliably run a standard cambelt on this setup as its not designed to give any extra leeway, it was designed around the block and head at the height it came out of the factory (a set value with a strict tolerance). I dont know if you have ever changed a cambelt but there is very very little give in them to ensure the timing is correct and stays correct. You are effectively increasing the distance from the cam pulleys to the bottom pulley when you add a spacer plate which IF you manage to get a standard cambelt on there, its going to be under an increased strain and become a weak point and probably snap due to too much tension on the belt.

You are right in one sence, But you could argue the different thicknesses of standard head gaskets vs a skimmed head/decked block is the same. But the cambelt will be 100% Fine. There are plenty of courtenay conversions done with spacers that are still around 10 years later.
evo_69

18th Mar 11 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not c20let?? sounds lot less hassle?
AlexW

18th Mar 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LET is more money, but on the up side, 200bhp straight out the box and tuning options of up to 600bhp?. Struggle to get even 300bhp out of a 1.6T even spending lots of money.

I can totally see the point of going for a LET, I just want a 1.6T to say I've done it, and its a bit of fun, But for the people that don't know what they are doing, its not as simple as they think and isnt a £200 build lol
evo_69

18th Mar 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right fair play to ya mate may aswell break oaway from the pack anyway tbh

good luck with it..
l15jos

19th Mar 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would vxr rods and pistons fit the 1.6 16v crank
Ronson

19th Mar 11 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by l15jos
would vxr rods and pistons fit the 1.6 16v crank

You should really do some research into this before building it, instead of asking everyone. You've already been told where to find a guide on how to build it.
AlexW

19th Mar 11 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus, I said it a page back.
l15jos

19th Mar 11 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

soz missed that one. This is my research i find a group discution tends to bring out the best ideas. i found a set of rods and pistons on ebay just i have no money left :-(
lee303

19th Mar 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
quote:
Originally posted by moffat
^ how? a spacer plate does the same job and just run low boost

Wrong, a spacer plate increases the overall height of the block and head once built up, you cant reliably run a standard cambelt on this setup as its not designed to give any extra leeway, it was designed around the block and head at the height it came out of the factory (a set value with a strict tolerance). I dont know if you have ever changed a cambelt but there is very very little give in them to ensure the timing is correct and stays correct. You are effectively increasing the distance from the cam pulleys to the bottom pulley when you add a spacer plate which IF you manage to get a standard cambelt on there, its going to be under an increased strain and become a weak point and probably snap due to too much tension on the belt.

you can just spin the water pump a little if the belt is too tight as it is eccentric, and on the 16v the tensioner is eccentric too so it wont be an issue, spacers aren’t that tall! and the timing wont alter at all if the belt is the same length/number of teeth.
i did a bit of spannering on lukes turbo 1600 16v years ago, ran a spacer and two gaskets to reduce compression which worked well, but anymore than 9 psi and i would worry for the piston crowns, car really wanted aftermarket management to get it working right, all this tricking the ecu shit is a waste of time if you want it to run well imo, just causes the engine to run too rich most of the time and leads to cooling issues and eating plugs, and a better manifold than the courtney log type effort would be a must if you wanted big power
l15jos

19th Mar 11 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much boost do u rekon the vxr rods and pistons would take?
AlexW

19th Mar 11 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.google.com
johnny86
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 06:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol someone takes his car away from him... Not even I'm this bad! If you pull it off fair play but from the sounds of it another unfinished project!
Cossie

20th Mar 11 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

standard vxr pistons are not so reliable on other forums there have many ppl that had no4 piston melt
l15jos

20th Mar 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was looking at a thread last night said that that was due to not letting car warm up and cool down and ragging the car
Cossie

20th Mar 11 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vxr rods are 129.7mm x16xe are 129.75 mmn length with 19mm gudgeon pin and 18mm for the (c/x/z 16xe)

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » corsa 1.6 turbo 23 database queries in 0.0333450 seconds