corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day: Rear cassette

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike day: Rear cassette
Bonney

User status: Offline
19th Jun 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just give my bike a good clean and noticed there is play in the rear casette and rear wheel. Its moving left to right about 1-2mm, There is a slight bit of play in the rear wheel

Also been having trouble with changing the gears, Sometimes it sticks in one gear then misses one cog altogether. Tried adjusting it and it seemed to have made it better going down the gears, But not up!

Can anyone help me out, Before I loose the plot with it!
Gary
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a new one? Not much money
Bonney

19th Jun 11 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wandering if there is anything I could do with it before getting another one.
C2RL R

19th Jun 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cassette is probably worn so would need replacing anyway. You're lazy gear shifts are probably caused by incorrect cable tension. I'm fairly mechanically minded but I never fuck about with them on my own bike. I just take it to my local workshop and let someone with experience sort it for me.
deano87

19th Jun 11 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be warned that your cassette and chain wear together, so if you replace the cassette you'll probably have to do the chain otherwise it won't run right. Might need to change the most commonly used ring on the front.

If you've got play it could be the freehub body which is a bit worn.
Bonney

19th Jun 11 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'll send it in to be looked at, just had it out and when the bike is bouncing around it is changing between 2 gears with the play in it. also has a loud rattle with it.

AlunJ

19th Jun 11 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
You're lazy gear shifts are probably caused by incorrect cable tension. I'm fairly mechanically minded but I never fuck about with them on my own bike. I just take it to my local workshop and let someone with experience sort it for me.

I made this mistake this morning, took me ages to get it how it should be
C2RL R

19th Jun 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some things are better left to the experts!
Jed D

19th Jun 11 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new paws and new spring/springs, and give the chain a good oil.

if thats doesnt work then you'll need to adjust the cable

i used to love my bmx back in the day but gears do my nut it

hope this helps
Jed D

19th Jun 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also wheel bearings, bearing factorys tend to be a shitload cheaper than a shop selling it for that specific bike
gavin18787
Premium Member

19th Jun 11 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

play will be in the freehub body I would assume. little bit is nothing to worry about though as long as its not skipping or massive movement.

None shifting even with correct cable tension and well greased cables would suggest worn cassette and chain. Replace both together and it should shift gears nice and crisp again

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Bonney

20th Jun 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's fine if I am riding on the road, But as soon as I hit any rough trails it starts to bounce around.

Going to fit all my new bits (Brakes, front forks and shifters) then drop it into a local bikeshop to be adjusted up properly and get them to take a look at it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day: Rear cassette 24 database queries in 0.0091510 seconds