corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snowboard/Ski People in here

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snowboard/Ski People in here
Wayne

User status: Offline
21st Jun 11 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me & 3 friends are looking to book our first snowboarding hol for Jan next year and are looking at Andorra for a week, has anybody been? What's it like? Also is it best to take your own boots etc? Haven't got any yet but will have some in next few months..
Russ

21st Jun 11 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask ed and sombrero
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've never been before then just hire everything out there. If you have a few lessons over here then my one piece of advice is to get your own boots - they make a huge difference.

look for bargains, people often sell their first set of boots after 1-2 seasons (i.e. 2/3 weeks) use.

Definitely get yourself a pair of snowboard/ski pants, thermal base layer and a jacket. I wear a helmet all the time and goggles but you don't have to. Goggles are better than sunglasses.

For your first kit, it doesn't have to be top brands, TK Maxx do some decent stuff, as do Primark for beginners. My missus just got some snowboard pants from there for £10 and a jacket for £12 and its more than good enough for Chill FactorE and first holidays
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Aldi quite often have base layer in and its sold through the eyar for Snowboarding, Motorcycling, sports etc. Just make sure you get the thermal wicking gear that wicks sweat away from you.

Oh and gloves, get decent gloves! Plus 2/3 pairs of ski socks

Don't worry about boards and bindings, you can hrie them all over the resorts when you get there

[Edited on 21-06-2011 by LiVe LeE]
Rob_Quads

21st Jun 11 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get down a dry slope for a lesson if you can. A few hours on the slope before you go will make the most of your trip.

IF you really think your going to stick with it then buying boots is the best thing you can do. When looking try on everything there, ignore that they look like etc and to a degree price i.e. don't say "I'm spending £100 on boots" you might find the £120 boots fit best and £20 is nothing extra.

Have a crap pair of boots and you could get a sore feet meaning you have to finish early, also your technique will suffer. Start blistering and you can end up throwing days away and it will kill.

Board/Bindings just rent to start with.

TK Max are good for clothes. Layers is the best way to go. Don't get a really thick jacket as you will end up overheater. Layer and you can stay just right no matter the temp.
smcGSI16V

21st Jun 11 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never been to Andorra but some friends have. Its more of a skiing place due to runs being very road like and not really suited to snowboarders, which is why I've never been there. They also had a reall y crap season last year due to a severe lack of snowfall.

I always go to france.

I hire a board, but have my own boots and helmet, and jacket, trousers, thermals, gloves and goggles etc etc.

I generally get all my stuff from TK Maxx as its cheap(last seasons stuff etc.)

But if its your first time I would hire board/ski's, boots and helmet. But buy everything else as they always come in handy for this country.
Cos you never know whether you will like it, be any good and want to to more often or not.
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're in the right time of year to buy as we're in closed season.

Try:
- Boardwise
- The Snowboard Asylum
- Snow & Rock
- SubVert
- Surfanic
- Dare2B

even Decathlon sometimes has good stuff
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
They also had a really crap season last year due to a severe lack of snowfall.

I always go to france.

France had terrible Snow this season, as did most of the Alps. Its luck of the draw. The USA had amazing snow so you can hazard a guess they'll have rubbish snow this year
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been Andorra the 1st time i went skiing, that was 11 years ago though, but it was a really good place to learn and then you can go over to Pal which has more slopes.

Like most people have said in here TKMaxx is great for cheap gear, I got my 2nd set of ski stuff from there and it lasted 5 seasons.

For the 1st year i would rent all of the equipment, maybe if you like it then start with boots and helmet.

Thermals are a must though, dont wear too many layers, just some good thermals under your Jacket. Buy proper skiing/snowboard socks and dont double up on normal socks.
Wayne

21st Jun 11 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info guys, last time i was on a snowboard was around 3year ago at a guess so booked myself on a full day course for £80 at chill factor in Manchester just to get use to things.

I use to have a pair of boots but sold them as none of my friends did snowboarding or skiing, now they want to do it grrrrr.

As for andorra not having enough snow last year that sounds bad, i don't want to pay alot of money and there be no snow when we get there
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could have got you discout at ChillF - have you already booked?

If not, when you book online, use the code "MSEMEMBER" and you should get 50% discount

Wayne

21st Jun 11 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any good shops to go to?
Rob_Quads

Ah yes Helmet - 100% get one.

I made sure my wife got one last year and when we were on our Honeymoon in Whistler she took a tumple and smacker her head a goodun, dented the helmet, was quite shaken but was ok after a bit of a rest.

Later that day just 10m from where she fell we saw someone else fall and when we came back down the slope the ice was red and th person was in the bodybag (not dead) on the way down the slope.
Wayne

is that for membership?
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 11 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, it'll work for all bookings made online including membership

EDIT: If it still works; it might be out of date but it was still working a week ago.

emicen

21st Jun 11 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andorras ok, but that's a skier perspective, duno about boarding.

As per the others TKMax and Decathlon are good shouts and helmet is a very good shout. My cousin isn't a loon but got wiped out by a snowboarder this year in to a snowcannon. With helmet, she still has a 6 day memory blank. Fair bet without helmet, she'd have been travelling home in a box.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snowboard/Ski People in here 23 database queries in 0.0114372 seconds