corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fitting a private plate to a car that isnt owned by you

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fitting a private plate to a car that isnt owned by you
Mertin

User status: Offline
10th Jul 11 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this possible?
Bought one for the girlfriends birthday, and planning getting her car for a day along with doc's without her knowing and getting the plate transferred. The plate was bought in my name but registered to her
AndyCorsaSport

10th Jul 11 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure you can do it.

Ive done my dads before, but we both have the same name

Sure it can be done though, cause main dealers can go to the DVLA office and get them swapped for people trading cars in.

If you get it put on for her, you should be able to have it on the same day you sort the docs.
Mertin

11th Jul 11 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, when I did it with mine I put the plates on when I got home. Only got the new keeper supplement for the car just now as she just got it a few weeks ago, but after a bit of googling you can use this to get the v5 changed?
Going to have to be sneaky and somehow get the slip and MOT without her noticing

If it fails I'll just get a female family member / friend to forge it

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by Mertin]
Jake

11th Jul 11 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant swap the plate on the same day though. it takes a week or two before you can put the plate on the car. shes harly going to notice if the mot is gone

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by Jake]
Welsh Dan

11th Jul 11 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he sends the docs off now, he can change it when he gets them back. If you take the docs into the DVLA direct, you can do it on the same day.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got one for the missus. all i did was get a set of plates printed online, put them on the car, then went with the missus to local dvla and got it transferred officially then i'm sure we could put them straight on, may have to wait a few days now, gave us a new tax disc etc. job done
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obv if it is going to take a few days just swop them back until its through
Fro

11th Jul 11 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you go to them and get it processed, you can put it straight on once done.
A2H GO

11th Jul 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
you cant swap the plate on the same day though. it takes a week or two before you can put the plate on the car. shes harly going to notice if the mot is gone

If you go to the DVLA office you can tranfer it over on the same day on the car but have to wait a couple of weeks for the V5C to come back.

You can transfer it onto a car you don't own, I'm in the process of transferring the Mrs plate onto my Clio as were trading her car in.

Link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_4022576

Just need to send/take the V5C, MOT and Insurance Docs for both cars and the V317 which you can download from that link....oh and £80.
mwg

11th Jul 11 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to remember she'll have to tell her insurance too
Mertin

11th Jul 11 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be doing it at the DVLA office like I did with mine so the transfer will be instant, new tax disc there and then and MOT stamped for change of reg is it? Oh, and plate was bought from DVLA so no £80 fee as its included
AndyCorsaSport

11th Jul 11 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake

As said at DVLA putting it on is instant, taking it off still takes a week or so though.

And yeah you get new tax disc there and they re-print the MOT with the new reg on.
Mertin

11th Jul 11 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60 mile drive to the nearest office but still worth it rather than sending stuff away and having to wait
richc

12th Jul 11 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
60 mile drive to the nearest office but still worth it rather than sending stuff away and having to wait

Mertin

12th Jul 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by Mertin

60 miles is fuck all really, 120 round trip. Usually do it around once a week for something. Past few months iv done either Edinburgh or Glasgow when at home and thats 500, doing it again on Sunday. A bit of mileage doesnt bother me

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fitting a private plate to a car that isnt owned by you 23 database queries in 0.0126221 seconds