corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » While head is off, what should I consider doing.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author While head is off, what should I consider doing.
corsadonk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Jul 11 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get bronze guides, because they can crack, get the ports done, with 3 angle seats.

Also take it to a proper engine builder, no point just getting it skimmed.
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With 288's you'd need the piston's pocketed I think!
Generation

11th Jul 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No definitive answers, this is all just confusing me more
Eck
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Nik said, the best person to speak to is Philip2 mate.
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With 288's you'll need double valve springs, FWD RS200 valve stem oil seals, the wells the lobes turn in will need to be ground out, also pocketed pistons.
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Jul 11 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The milder cams don't really do much, they just tend to move the power band. The standard cams are pretty good.

I've got Piper BP285's in my engine, which are 288 degree jobbies, they make a shit load of difference.

But they won't turn in a standard head.
philip2

11th Jul 11 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right let clear everything up:

Headgasket id use eitha goetze or victor rienz over a crap zlet. Goetze wil take 300bhp and a very very gud gasket.

Cam wise qed q48hs wil be fine...397thou lift, 264 duration, or kent ast1612s or newman ph1 wil work, I can do decent price on newmans. Reprofiled cams can lead to faulting lifters + damage engine.

Bronze guides are a waste, iv ran 400+ bhp on stock and not a problem. So could eitha go 4 headwork + cams, or just cams + general freshen up of head. Any headwork or bits I can supply.
Generation

11th Jul 11 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2U'd
philip2

11th Jul 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsadonk - not entirely true, early coscasts need head fettling wher lobes run, some dispac heads are fine, some other year heads are ok + some arent, iv built couple engnes with 296dur, 11.9mm lift cams and turned fine. As for 288s its got nothing at all to do with duration, its valve lift that depicts whether keep single springs or uprate. Standard spring wil take 11mm/430thou lift max before coil bind, hence upgrading when go larger lift. Bt also does help relability too especialy wen xe spring could of already done 100k.
SEAN_P_

12th Jul 11 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the best price/cams on standard internals?
Kieran
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 05:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to help you abit... I have the 288 autosprint cams. And I had to do no mods. Yes they are very big and pretty Dane lumpy. But been fine for 2 years! And my god did they make a difference!
corsadonk
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 05:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, I've got the BP285's on this page, which need mods to my Coscast to fit.

I changed my guides because I've had the break on two engines Because of bent valves.

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www/product_search.php?search=c20xe&go.x=8&go.y=12

[Edited on 12-07-2011 by corsadonk]
philip2

12th Jul 11 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kizza - as above...its nwt to do with duration its lift, what lift are the 288s + have u had the car on rr b4 and after?

Corsadonk - be careful with those cams iirc they run bout 11.5mm lift and imo a bit too aggresive for hydraulics, I no kent do a hotrod cam to peak at 8.5k on hydraulics which is just daft as lifters burst over 8k after a period of time

As for guides, I do agree that they do break if bend a valve but one way to stop it is cutting guides into ports..inlets are easy, its the exhaust guides that stick through quite far + take mre work, but bronze are a touch softer and 'give' abit mre than cast. Btw hows ur motor going now?

Sean - I can do newman from blanks for 340 a pair, not a fan of reprofiled cams tbh. Likes of piper + kent are between 420 + 500 new from blanks iirc.
Generation

12th Jul 11 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sent you a u2u Phillip have you seen it?
philip2

12th Jul 11 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wil get it 2nyt matey, cant open u2us on mobile sory.
BeArDy

12th Jul 11 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pound for pound, throw away the standard inlet save you money and get for carbs, which are around £500.
corsadonk
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2

Corsadonk - be careful with those cams iirc they run bout 11.5mm lift and imo a bit too aggresive for hydraulics, I no kent do a hotrod cam to peak at 8.5k on hydraulics which is just daft as lifters burst over 8k after a period of time

As for guides, I do agree that they do break if bend a valve but one way to stop it is cutting guides into ports..inlets are easy, its the exhaust guides that stick through quite far + take mre work, but bronze are a touch softer and 'give' abit mre than cast. Btw hows ur motor going now?

The lifter are still going strong, after over 3k miles. The engine seems fine again after the oil pump joys. Thanks.
Anty
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

different colour ? mybe

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » While head is off, what should I consider doing. 23 database queries in 0.1722891 seconds