corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Are ABS pump/ECU units expensive?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are ABS pump/ECU units expensive?
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Sep 11 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the Cougar needs a new one... ABS/handbrake light comes on a lot during driving, had new brake fluid put in yesterday and topped up to the correct level (no it's not leaking anywhere BTW), and a local guy I know checked for ABS fault codes and there were none.

It's booked in with Ford for next week as apparently they are the only people that can do more diagnostics on it, but he seemed to think it might be the pump.

I've seen secondhand ones go for between £60-£100 so I'm guessing a brand new one will be quite a lot more?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new ones are very expensive, 500 quidish

id get a 2nd hand one
Sam
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS bloody car

It would be nice if it was something simple like a bad connection between the plug and the ABS unit, on the V6 it's not exactly in an easy position to get to (I tried last night).
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the issue?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will 90% be a sensor they dont always show up a fault.

if not a sensor the remaining 9% will be one of the tone wheels worn or dirty.

the remaning 1% will be pump.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also wont show fault if sensor is just dirty so might just need a clean
Sam
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically you are driving along and whether you drive like an OAP or a boy racer a few minutes into driving the yellow ABS light and the red handbrake on warning light will come up, normally it stays on for the entire journey but occasionally the yellow TC light will come on for half a second and then all the lights will go out!

I did think it was a sensor as that seemed to be the common thing according to my Internet research so I was a bit surprised when he said no faults were logged.
Sam
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you get to the sensors to clean them and where are they/what do they look like Steve?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

red handbrake warning light? have you checked your brake fluid level?
Sam
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
had new brake fluid put in yesterday and topped up to the correct level (no it's not leaking anywhere BTW)
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

weird why the red handbrake light is coming on, not seen that before usually fluid levels, unless fluid level sensor is faulty.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Handbrake_And_ABS_Warning_Light_Troubleshooting
Sam
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I read somewhere that both those lights come on when there is an ABS fault.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there is a problem with sensor, or tone wheel or anything like that its usually just abs light unless the red light is something specific to the cougar
Sam
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea, it's not too different engine/electrics wise to a Mondeo TBH.

If it's not chucking it down with rain this weekend I might jack the car up and check the condition of the sensors and the wiring going to the wheels.

The previous owner of the car did sod all to maintain it so it wouldn't surprise me if it was something simple like a sensor needed cleaning or connecting properly to a wiring plug somewhere.
antnee

8th Sep 11 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got an Ibiza ABS unit for cheaps

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Are ABS pump/ECU units expensive? 23 database queries in 0.0134959 seconds