corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VW Mk5 Golf TDI's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VW Mk5 Golf TDI's
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Sep 11 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EML always comes on. Just booked my Mk6 in for it's first one yesterday :/

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
T21SVJ

11th Sep 11 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had an octavia PD TDI 170, only got 36mpg aroung town, abs pump needed replaceing on mine.

Also consider if you going to be using it around town alot then dont buy 1 with this engine the DPF filters cause alot of problems, you can get them taken out and remaped which then you wont have a problem with.

my DPF was clocking up on the motorway and Skoda wouldnt do anything about it at all.

left me stranded a few times as the car went into limp mode and skoda say to get the car recovered.
broster
Premium Member

11th Sep 11 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt get a 170, the 140 with a map is great, 170 has dpf and seems to sell for more money.
1.9 105's are great gearboxes are weak if 5spd.
AndyKent

11th Sep 11 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I've got a MK5 1.9 tdi mapped to 140-ish.

Brilliantly economical on a long run and as powerful at the 2.0. Has had its funny little electrical problems, but they've all solved themselves without going to a dealer. Lovely car, I keep wanting to change it for something more fun but every time I do I remember how good a car it is.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat tbh.

Im glad they can be mapped to this power, what mileage is yours running?

I'm looking at the mk2 leon with the 1.9tdi engine in, mileage is 74k i think and would be a bit worried on getting it mapped as i want my clutch to last as i don't know how the car has been treat?

Had mine done at 35k, now at 55k with no problems whatsoever. Clutch should be fine so long as you don't have silly torque coming through it at low revs. Power difference between 105 and 140 is quite amazing though, definitely how they should have come out the factory, much more drivable on the torque.
Simon_16v

11th Sep 11 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i used to have a PD130 ibiza fr and that was mapped from around 10k i think and its on 65k now with no problems. Just a little unsure as i don't know how the clutch has been treat although i'd imagine it would be nowhere near the 300lb-ft mark for torque?
AndyKent

11th Sep 11 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe 220-230ft/lb
CORSA NUT

11th Sep 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
TBH i had a 2L gtdi one from work for a few weeks and i wasn't impressed with the MPG! didn't get much over 30 MPG around town. Must be highly strung to extract the performance maybe?

I'd be looking at a GTI if i ever bought a MK5.

I get 60mpg on a run and around 49mpg running about

No offence Broster but I feel these are 'Internet' figs. Have you actually worked it out with maths or are you going off the trip? I rekon 40 around town is probably achievable real world but I never saw that.
broster
Premium Member

11th Sep 11 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

genuine figures mr nut! granted my car not standard, bigger turbo, lots of time remapping etc! standard cars don't do those figures thats for sure! think the best i got from mine standard on a run was low to mid 50's and low 40's around town on a good day
T21SVJ

11th Sep 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do the 140bhp not have a DPF filter?
makincorsac

11th Sep 11 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
Could scare the living crap out of you with faults....

To be fair the Vast majority are ok, but when they do go wrong it tends to be expensive.

Turbo's are a weak point, both the KKK and Garret variants (but more KKK) - They like to snap the shaft pouring oil into the exhaust and the intake

Twin Mass flywheels can also cause issues - most of the particularly bad ones should have been sorted when they were recalled

Very early 2.0 TDI's suffered with cylinder heads allowing coolant to leak into the combustion chambers

Early gearboxes were also made of chocolate - 2nd gear syncro being a particular weak point (modified parts are available)

Injectors are still a weak point - however i think VOSA have actually stepped in and failures should be covered by factory goodwill

The intake manifold flap on the 2.0 also likes to seize and spanks the fuse for itself and the cooling fan activation

The rest is your normal run of the mill wear and tear stuff - C.V boots, rear wishbone bushes, rear springs etc

My advise would be as new and low miles as possible - even opt for the 1.9 it tends to be slightly better...

And a decent extended warrenty also i think is a must

engine management light came on in my mates 1.9 tdi cant remember what caused it but it wasnt mechanical.. VW wanted just short of £700 all in to put it right
broster
Premium Member

11th Sep 11 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by T21SVJ
do the 140bhp not have a DPF filter?

early ones don't have dpf
CORSA NUT

11th Sep 11 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
genuine figures mr nut! granted my car not standard, bigger turbo, lots of time remapping etc! standard cars don't do those figures thats for sure! think the best i got from mine standard on a run was low to mid 50's and low 40's around town on a good day

Arrrrrr i see

Then
s4k1b

12th Sep 11 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had a few arguments with adio about this one...

in my opinion - 2.0 tdi is a pretty sh1t engine

ive had a few in a couple of golfs and a3's.... terrible

ive now gone back in time to a mk4 tdi again, and im much happier
whitter45

12th Sep 11 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for me the 140;s drive better than the 170
pre common rail

Mates had a few early 2.0 ones in with cracked heads but they just seem to sufferthe VAg electrical faults

Nice car. Wouldnt have the 1.9 - they are too nosiey
mwg

12th Sep 11 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loved my 170 (in the A3). Would have another. Over 200bhp with a Bluefin, transformed the car - only wish I had done it sooner No DPF problems for me in 40,000 miles either.

[Edited on 12-09-2011 by mwg]
richc

13th Sep 11 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
TBH i had a 2L gtdi one from work for a few weeks and i wasn't impressed with the MPG! didn't get much over 30 MPG around town. Must be highly strung to extract the performance maybe?

I'd be looking at a GTI if i ever bought a MK5.

I get 60mpg on a run and around 49mpg running about

I get this from the company passat (140 tdi)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VW Mk5 Golf TDI's 24 database queries in 0.0847609 seconds