corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How much would high milage put you off

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How much would high milage put you off
FAZ
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Sep 11 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines on 120k, i wonder if i can do 30k before its scrapped next year
pow
Premium Member

18th Sep 11 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a short term runabout why not?
ChrisBoom

18th Sep 11 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My work car is on 210k, engine wise is perfect, bodwork is fucked, MOT in december is a worry
antnee

18th Sep 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flip side, my friends Ibiza which I have been working on has half the mileage of my old one, yet more bits are corroded and shear than on mine.

Edit, and all the same bits needed doing, cambelt, bushes, etc (35k to my on 75k)

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by antnee]
spikedjack

18th Sep 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mega puts me off.

Just bought a 13 year old car and has taken me 6 months to find one with under 50k miles that i'd be happy with
mtpagey

19th Sep 11 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a lot of arguement for both sides.. personally high mileage puts me off.

Have three cars just now, 2 saxo vts's with 25 and 30k on them and a diesel pug with 75k.

If theyre high mileage though then they may have been looked after more because they've been doing that many miles. On the other hand they've been running more so might be more likely to have taken punishment...

As long as a cars been looked after then who's to say whats best imo. Any engine can go bang at any time no matter how old or hard its driven!
Simon_16v

19th Sep 11 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just bought a 57 plate Seat Leon with 75k on and it's had 1 previous lady owner and services every 10k. Also had the cambelt changed just before i picked it up so i know its been looked after
whitter45

19th Sep 11 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

few years ago I would have said no issue

But I am finding the more complex cars cost a fortune to put right

i.e my 1 series xenon headlight failed and the whole unit had to be replaced due to the failure at 1500+VAT and Labour

Like the new focus - so much electronics that they will go wrong at some point

But that may not be attributed to mileage. I think mileage will induce failures in general wear and tear and the mechanicals should be OK to stand high mileage.

Its the electronics that bother me

Jambo

19th Sep 11 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whitter that's why I didn't get another e46. If it goes wrong it's £900 a headlight. Which is crazy money. The cars are getting more complex with individual parts now being so complex that they cost a fortune to fix. It's almost as though the parts industry hasn't caught up yet. (if that makes sense) it leads me to believe that cars just will get scrapped at younger and younger ages due to ludo costs of repair.

Whereas you can pick up e36 headlights in the scrappy for a £10

My engine has 91k n it and drives like a dream. I a less worried about the number and more worried about how it has been looked after. My jeep is like a new car. It is 12yrs old and done70k and felt newer than my Clio in terms of start p/warming up and willingness to run etc. If a car breaks or wears out and stuff is replaced it can go on for ages. If it's badly looked after it can be a heap but 25k
Steve
Premium Member

19th Sep 11 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
few years ago I would have said no issue

But I am finding the more complex cars cost a fortune to put right

i.e my 1 series xenon headlight failed and the whole unit had to be replaced due to the failure at 1500+VAT and Labour

Like the new focus - so much electronics that they will go wrong at some point

But that may not be attributed to mileage. I think mileage will induce failures in general wear and tear and the mechanicals should be OK to stand high mileage.

Its the electronics that bother me

wouldnt get that on a corrado
Hammer

19th Sep 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would not buy a car with 190k miles on it for any purpose.
alan-g-w

19th Sep 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ended up that car was gone anyway.

Ended up picking up a '98 primera with a year's ticket and 70k for £450 last night. 4 excellent tyres, all the brakes are spot on and it's got no nasty rattles or bangs. Just need to sort out a box of tissues for the parcel shelf and a CD to hang from the rear view
Hammer

19th Sep 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Far better choice.
alan-g-w

19th Sep 11 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove it around for the first time tonight, can't complain about it so far! It's like driving a bowl of jelly compared to the corsa but at least it means I'm now mobile what with that being off the road
Ste Muf

20th Sep 11 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Flip side, my friends Ibiza which I have been working on has half the mileage of my old one, yet more bits are corroded and shear than on mine.

Edit, and all the same bits needed doing, cambelt, bushes, etc (35k to my on 75k)

[Edited on 18-09-2011 by antnee]
RichR
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
A 74k disco probably has a lot of receipts for work done.

in fairness, We had all the old MoT documents incl. advisories, alongside every advisory was receipts for work done and if a single bush needed replacing then He'd have them all done. Bought it off an old guy who was fastidious with maintenance and servicing.

I'd rather a higher mileage car with a moutnain of paperwork than one with half the miles and no receipts
corsajay88

20th Sep 11 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother bought a 10 year old saxo last year, 20000 miles on the clock, low for the age but since then has been terrible - it has needed new drive shafts, ball joints, front brakes and rear drum. this was ''one carefull lady owner''.
John

20th Sep 11 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I'm saying lower mileage is better than higher mileage I'm assuming people can possibly apply a little bit of common sense in the fact that a crap car is crap no matter what the mileage is.
3CorsaMeal

20th Sep 11 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine isn't high mileage so wouldn't no, its average for its age
corsajay88

20th Sep 11 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
When I'm saying lower mileage is better than higher mileage I'm assuming people can possibly apply a little bit of common sense in the fact that a crap car is crap no matter what the mileage is.

i definately agree with that, it is a terrible car to drive but it brings the point that underusing a car can be bad for it as well. from the mot certificates some years it has done as little as 500 miles. i would go for a lower milage car as well but i think the other variables such as driving conditions, servicing and the driver themselves are more important than the milage on the clock.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How much would high milage put you off 23 database queries in 0.0162158 seconds