corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Winter Tyres?
FlamingCorsa

User status: Offline
20th Dec 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

she never found the need to put any winter tyres on, she seem happy and says she just drives according to conditions! once u get on main roads normally they are fine! fair enough people who live down lanes that dont see grit like we used to... winter tires are good! i just would drive slower instead of the extra expense of having them..... then paying again to take them off!
Matt L

20th Dec 11 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
are snow tyres the same cost as normal tyres? so typically your looking at a few hundred on tyres you would use a couple of days a year?

also if you didnt have another set of wheels you then have to change them back for warmer weather then at another cost? sounds completely and utterly overkill

depends when you buy them, cheaper than normal tyres during summer, silly expensive once its snowed.

initial outlay is expensive but will last you a good few years so not really that expensive with them only being used for a few months.

john - they work better in temps below 7 + wet weather and since october i have yet to even see 7degress.

just personal opinion that winter tyres are worth it and im sure if you tried them you would agree that being able to drive/stop in snow at normal speeds/gaps is alot better/safer than using normal tyres when if you put your foot down the wheels just sit and spin and stopping causes abs to kick in everytime whilst you sail out in to the junction.
Matt L

20th Dec 11 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featurevideos/275428/winter_tyres_vs_summer_tyres.html

give that a watch to see the difference in performance between them.
Nath

20th Dec 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
what about when something comes flying towards her and she spins up on the snow covered road, trying to get out the way?

[Edited on 20-12-2011 by Ben G]

Blimey

For whats its worth my Rainsports are spot on all year round. Fuck having two sets of tyres/wheels.
John

20th Dec 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not disputing they are better in the snow, they are however a complete waste of money in this country. Everyone has done without them until now.

If you are wheel spinning pulling away or abs is kicking in at a junction, you are either not driving to the conditions or it's ice in which the same will happen with winter tyres.
Ben G

20th Dec 11 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think people are getting confused here.

they are not snow tyres, they are winter tyres.

they work much more effectively at temps below 7c (it's been around or well below that temp here for about a month now).

people can't seriously tell me they have the same grip as they did in the warmer weather?

you can feel the car not handling like it would during the summer, the tyres feel hard and gives the feel of having low tread even though theres loads of life left.
BarnshaW

20th Dec 11 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i genuinely do not feel any difference, maybe thats just me, certainly no way near enough to warranty spending hundreds on tyres specifically for the colder weather?

I dont think it gets cold enough to warranty winter tyres and if the roads are that bad then i just take extra care with the tyres i already got on.

Depends how much cold weather etc you get i guess really?
Nic Barnes

20th Dec 11 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They cost a lot more. Depends where you live. I don't understand sandals but I dont live in an Arab country. Doesn't make it wrong.
BarnshaW

20th Dec 11 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we are talking about tyres not sandals
Nic Barnes

20th Dec 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I haven't any input then as I don't know anything.
Nath

20th Dec 11 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i think people are getting confused here.

they are not snow tyres, they are winter tyres.

they work much more effectively at temps below 7c (it's been around or well below that temp here for about a month now).

people can't seriously tell me they have the same grip as they did in the warmer weather?

you can feel the car not handling like it would during the summer, the tyres feel hard and gives the feel of having low tread even though theres loads of life left.

Not enough to cause me any bother or to need to spend £400 on new rubber.

[Edited on 20-12-2011 by Nath]
Ben G

20th Dec 11 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people spent that on alloys alone.
Nath

20th Dec 11 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah.
Nic Barnes

20th Dec 11 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

most of them are actually really soft tyres. tread flexes a lot to let the snow etc out easier.
Ben G

20th Dec 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was talking about all season tyres there, nic.
Mertin

20th Dec 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Winter tyres will also only last you a good few years if you keep the same car or keep buying cars with the same size / profile wheels

Id maybe buy if I 100% needed my car everyday to travel to work

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Winter Tyres? 23 database queries in 0.0117280 seconds