corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Google Maps on mobile

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Google Maps on mobile
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   4th Jan 12 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First problem was I was trying to put a route into the sat nav on the mobile but going via a particular way, but it doesn't seem like you can drag the points on the mobile version.

So, had a little look and it seems you can create your route on google maps on the computer, save it, then import it in 'my maps' once back on the mobile. That worked great!

BUT, I can't for the life of me see how I get it to direct me via that saved route? Had a look online and it seems like others are in the same boat, so not sure if it's possible, although makes it seem pointless creating a route then.

Can anyone shed any light or know of a workaround. I've seen there's another GPS mobile app OruxMaps where you can import routes, but I'm buggered if I know how to save a GPS/GPX file from the route I've created on google maps.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, I've figured out how to create a GPX file from google and get around this problem using OruxMaps, although I'd ideally like to be able to use GoogleMaps, but oh well.
corsajay88

4th Jan 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go on google maps on your phone, then go on help, look for my maps, theres a guide how to do it there. Its to long to post on my phone.
It basicaly says you need a google account for which to save your edited maps/routes then you access your google account through your phone

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by corsajay88]
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can do that, I have no probs at all getting my custom route loaded from GoogleMaps on the PC to GoogleMaps on the phone. It's then getting it to give me those direction via the navigation that's the problem. Once loaded in, if I go to directions, it still make up it's own route and doesn't follow mine.

It seems my fix with OruxMaps might be a fail too as someone has just told me it doesn't do navigation
corsajay88

4th Jan 12 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put navigation on but then follow your own route, google maps will realise when youve gone off course to follow your own route and find the next one which would hopefully be yours. Thats what i do.
Just have to memorise the first few bits of your route.
This is the only other soloution i can think of
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah well, yeah, I could sit there looking at the blue line and follow it, that was an option, just a bit dangerous Ideally I need someone saying turn here and there, etc. Seems odd google haven't implemented the option yet as people have been asking about it since 2010 from the looks of it.

For some reason, the route maps picks is just under 10miles, yet my route to the same place is like 4.8 miles, which isn't massive, but my route takes all the back streets and avoids the main roads that clog up during rush hour.

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by Brett]
corsajay88

4th Jan 12 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean if you have navigation on with googles route. Then follow your own route eventually it will calculate a new route and give navigation for that. So you will have the instructions then. Ive done it before.
Just have to ignore 5 minutes or so of "make a u turn where safe"

Yes it can be quite useful but there are some obvious flaws.
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you're getting at and you'd assume it'd do that, but honestly, it does anything it can to not take this route I want to take, not sure why. I can't see it picking up on my route eventually as I've even tried breaking up the route and starting it at different point and it still tries to take me back the other way

It's ok, I'll sort something, cheers.

Balling
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What phone are we talking about?

There's quite a few dedicated GPS apps available for the iPhone and probably for Android as well.

Think Google only offers turn-by-turn navigation in the states as it is.

Just curious, but why do you need GPS navigation if you know the route?

Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google Maps does full turn-by-turn, in fact it does everything a normal nav can, just not what I want.

I don't know the route, its a route someone else has drawn for me who I work with.
JonnyJ

4th Jan 12 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just follow the damn blue line like a man. I always have the voice turned off, mainly because the way it speaks is annoying and the other reason is because there is no way I'm having a woman tell me where to go
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easier said than done. Even with the voice turned off you'll still be getting the arrows on the screen and your current position will track to the blue line. Doing it how you suggested in my case, it wouldn't track and I'd have to manually move the screen with my thumb, which would be illegal, get me 3 points and potentially into a car crash.

JonnyJ

4th Jan 12 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right ok, yeah that would be a bit of an arse, agreed
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saying that, I could be wrong, I'll see what happens when I'm on the road later. Would just be nice if Google would sort it more than anything, it's a step away from being awesome.
Cavey

4th Jan 12 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For some reason I really don't like googlemaps, I downloaded navfree on my HTC and its very good, have to get it over WiFi tho as you have to download the England map pack which is rather big!
Sorry this is of no help to your question
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might be of help. Can you plan routes on it, set way points, drag the line about, etc?
Cavey

4th Jan 12 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.....Erm.....I have never tried, i have used it twice and followed it blindly both times ....

Sorry this has made it of no use to your thread

Can set detours of a certain distance, but not what you're after. Uses GPS without 3g which was my main reason for it

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by Cavey]
Brett
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, it's something else for me to try, not all bad.

New Poll