corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Any Exchange Server experts?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any Exchange Server experts?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jan 12 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's an ADUC attribute for 'Accept messages only from authenticated users' which has been selected on a mail enabled distribution group. This has basically stopped any external user from mailing the address, annoyingly with no NDR. I've found this configuration error and fixed it - but I'm wondering whether or not the potentially missed messages can be tracked down anywhere?

It's Exchange Server 2010 if that means anything...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

15th Jan 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a pita, afaik it just bins them.

Could run the message tracking thing for mails sent to that mailbox, if they are anywhere that should show them.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's a pita, afaik it just bins them.

Could run the message tracking thing for mails sent to that mailbox, if they are anywhere that should show them.

Yeah just tried that, on the message tracking wizard (first time I'd used it) I was only able to select user mailboxes for the query, the distribution group wasn't available.

Ah well, my stupid fault for not checking the setup in the first place - though I did send a test from my googlemail account, assumed since I didn't get a bounceback that all was well.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

15th Jan 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got caught out with it a couple of weeks ago.

Some really infuriating things 2007/2010 do as default.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Some really infuriating things 2007/2010 do as default.

Yeah, I'm finding that out daily. Annoying as this distribution group in question was designed to be a recruitment application address thingy, and now the relevant team don't know how many potential applications they have missed

It's been live about 4 weeks before we noticed too

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phew... bullet dodged. We've got an external email filtering service which we use for spam filtering and stuff like that. There's a message archive in there, and since the mails were rejected by exchange - they still had to pass through the external filter.

Produced a report and other than the googlemail tests sent today - there has been nothing, which sucks for the recruitment team but has saved my bacon

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

15th Jan 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lucky, i found out within a couple of days because they had been waiting for something to come in, which didn't.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Jan 12 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate emails, can't wait for it to die as a technology though I'm not holding my breath as we still use fax machines

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll