corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Test drive insurance, private sale

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Test drive insurance, private sale
gooner_47

User status: Offline
25th Jan 12 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I right in thinking that even if you insist on someone bringing proof of fully comp insurance, with 'driving other cars' included - they will still only be covered third party?

Meaning if they were to crash while on the test drive, their insurance would happily pay out for the damage to the other person's car, but not yours - meaning you're then stuck with the bill? I mean obviously the person test driving SHOULD be paying you for your car, but what's the guarantee they'll actually do that? You don't have the guarantee like you'd have with fully comp.

Is it possible for them to get 'driving other cars', fully comp rather than tpft?

I'm also aware of 1 day insurance, but i'd heard it wasn't suitable for imported or modified cars.. unless anyone knows a company?
xa0s
Banned

25th Jan 12 at 04:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only ever let people test drive if I'm holding the cash in case they crash.

If they're serious about buying it then it shouldn't be a problem.

[Edited on 25-01-2012 by xa0s]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
25th Jan 12 at 04:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What you post is correct, they'll most likely be insured TPFT if they're using their own policy on a different car.

They could have transferred over the policy to your car, which means the docs will have your reg on.

I've never heard of driving other cars being comp. The only way is to actually change the policy to that car which these days most companies will charge for.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Jan 12 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ regarding producing a policy with your reg on it - isnt it impossible/illegal to insurance a car twice at the same time?
John

25th Jan 12 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not impossible but seems to be a grey area, the insurance company wouldn't do it if you explained what you were trying to achieve.
Jay

25th Jan 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every time I've bought a car I've rang my insurer admiral and told them I'm going to view a car and need insurance to drive there in my car with the intention of taking it home that day ad they've covered me to drive both cars for that day without charging me extra
gooner_47

25th Jan 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just phoned Admiral and had a chat with them about this, the only thing they could recommend was ensuring the potential buyer had insurance with driving other cars included.

This comes back to square one though, in that they'll be covered if they smash into someone - but someone will still have to pay for my car.

Seems the safest way would be to make sure they have insurance with doc, AND give the full asking price as a deposit, should they crash. That way both cars are effectively covered, one by insurance and one by cash. Only downside to that is I'm sure it would put a hell of a lot of people off of you demand that.
taylorboosh

25th Jan 12 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just say to them they can test drive when you have the cash or you drive on test drive

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Test drive insurance, private sale 23 database queries in 0.0086429 seconds