corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a motor with no vin chassis numbers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying a motor with no vin chassis numbers
fazza

User status: Offline
13th Feb 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what were you going to pay upto?
baza31

13th Feb 12 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had about 13k in mind , clearly I was miles off. I didn't even pub a bid in , when I started topic it was around 7k within seconds of sale it was past what I'd of paid. Ive seen a lot get sold where the bidder has gone ott and ducked on payment and it's been re auctioned. Although I l very much doubt it's going to get anywhere near the price I'd of paid
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Feb 12 at 02:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little update, it would appear that there is provision for the DVLA to issue chassis numbers after registration. Such numbers start SABTVR0.

If you have a search about there are various people talking about it. I'm currently researching the history of some Racing Pumas and some of them have those numbers now, although both were rebuilds after accident damage using predominantly components from the original car.

Both shells were second hand and have technically had their ids removed as well, to be replaced by the SABTVR0 number.

One person did suggest that it stood for Stolen And Brought To Vehicle Registration Office although that's a zero not a letter O plus they both weren't stolen.

They're also both on private plates so I can't see how it affects registration letter. One has a 2002 DOFR which can't be original, there are none that new.

Neither went on a Q, presumably because the ages of both the donor shell and donor components could be verified.

[Edited on 23-02-2012 by Ian]
Mattb

23rd Feb 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
That's what I thought. Apparently all numbers have gone, box, engine , chassis . It's a s5 . I don't know how they know if engine numbers gone because they usually have one where box fits , so only way they would know is by taking engine out and I really can't imagine that .

Engine number is stamped on the front of the block - need to remove the front end to get to it.

As its an S5 the chassis will be stored electronically in various control units and also in the key (any audi dealer would be able to read loads of info off the key)

Also a product sticker in the boot with chassis number

Stamped on the body

On a chassis plate also

To remove EVERYTHING - massivly difficult and lots of effort
corsastokey
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

24th Feb 12 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

something sounds dodgy
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Feb 12 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They bought salvage - so its already been stolen/rung/clocked/whatever. Its recorded as such legally and then they sell it to make back whatever money they can on paying out the owner.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a motor with no vin chassis numbers 23 database queries in 0.0121579 seconds