corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » '08 Corsa SRi 1.6T

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author '08 Corsa SRi 1.6T
martinlird

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So.....time to start a progress thread on the new Corsa.

This is my 2008 Corsa SRi 1.6T in Lightning Silver.

It has done 23k miles, got a Full Service History and the previous owner was registered disabled from new (good thing (for me) or not...you decide haha).

I first went to see it the day after new years day, was about 40mile away so went early dart, and got there for opening I went with a Stany, so we kinda knew what to look for haha, and started looking at it straight away. Popped the bonnet and got the guy to start the engine. All ran perfect and no signs of leaks, and it was all warming up perfectly

Took it for a test drive and knew it was for me! Absolutely lovely ride, and the performance is awesome for the price of the car and insurance! But all the while I was thinking of the tuning possibilities! As for people who don't know, this is mechanically the exact same car as the VXR, all that is different is the ECU Mapping.

So got the car back to the showroom and immediately started haggling. He knew we knew what we were talking about, and he got the idea that I knew what I wanted to pay for it. So we got onto talking about PX. He asked me what I thought it was worth, so I said £500 extra than I knew it was worth as you would, and he agreed...soo happy days! Eventually we agreed a price we were both happy on, and shook hands.

Picked it up the next day, and the rest is history!

At the moment the progress has been minimal! But the plans are massive!

Ill give you a pic standard in the showroom:

Then I decided to add my Wind Deflectors and Silvertech bulbs in only the front (for now), so heres some more pics of the car as a whole as it stands now:

Then my two favourite bits of the car!

Red Seatbelts!!

And the sexy Gearknob!

Plans are:

- 2.75" Longlife Custom De-Cat Exhaust - On the way
- Cool Running Thermostat - Done
- Electric Oil Temp Gauge - Done
- Mechanical Turbo Boost Gauge (Psi) - Done
(Heater Vent Conversion)
- Carbon V-Grill - Done
- Tinted Repeaters - On the way
- Debadged - On the way
- Pipercross Cone Filter - Done
- Denso Spark Plugs
- Eibach Lowering Springs
- MPG Live Remap - On the way
- EDS Intercooler and Hardpipes
- Black Mesh Lower Grill
- Forge Re-Circ Valve
- 380cc injectors
- High Comp Pistons
- Steel Con Rods
- Regal Induction Kit with 80mm AFM (eventually to replace the Pipercross)
- 3bar Map Sensor
- Regal Pump and Reg Kit
- Uprated Thermal Intake Manifold Gasket
- Full Samco Hosing
- Regal Intake and Exhaust Cams
- Forged Valves, Springs and Retainers
- Garret GT28rs Turbo
- Wavetrak LSD
- Vectra VXR Brakes
- Forge Subframe Brace
- Powerflex Bushes
- Red Electrical Conduit
- Red Wrapped Spark Plug Cover - Done
- Black Wrapped Bonnet
- Black Wrapped Spoiler
- Black Wrapped Mirrors
- Black PowderCoated Wheels

I think thats it as to plans!

Updates as I went

So.....bit of an update.

Got myself a Pipercross Cone filter
Absolutely LOVE the sound it gives....

Also got a Red Silicon Induction Hose today. Going to stick with the red theme in the engine with some coolant hoses.
There will be some more additions to come soon in here

I also nipped into MPG and got myself a cool running stat.

Anyways, here's a couple of pics

Another Update

Done abit of vinyl wrapping today...

Got some 3M Red for the Spark Plug Cover, this will have another sticker on it soon

And also got some 3M Carbon for the V-Grill, but finding that VERY tricky atm, so don't know when that will be done

Dependant on how the grill goes, I may well buy some for the bonnet soon

Heres a couple of pics

All wrap bought from APM Motorsport in Saltney, Chester. Couldn't recommend them enough!!!

Another Update

So, after the major coffuffle of cutting a fuel line instead of the boost pipe ops: that you don't even need to cut anyway haha, I've fitted a boost gauge and oil temp gauge

I fixed the fuel line (THANK GOD!) and then I set to work on the Gauges.

Really like them! Got them in white in preparation for the SMD conversion....but anyways heres some pics,

[Gauges are Prosport Smoke White, Electric Oil Temp with opening sequence, and Mechanical Boost in PSi]

Another Update

So I wrapped the fuse box cover and the steering wheel controls

Heres a couple of pics:

The V-Grill is done too, so I'll get some pics later.

I new to take the airbag out (JOB IN ITSELF!) to put the controls back in, then I'll get final pics of everything fitted later

Also got a chrome heatshield on the way too

Another Update

Just waiting on the heatshield and then getting a battery cover and the rest of the hoses and the bay will be near enough done

Not the most exciting update but there we go haha

Another Update

Just been booked in for a turbo back decat 2.75" stainless custom exhaust with performance box!

Dual exit ovals yet to decide the sizes he's got an RS in tomorrow, so he's asked me to go in and have a look to see what I think and compare some tips.

Booked in for 2 days, as he wants to take his time with it, and put some pics on the website of it all etc

Going in for a remap a couple of days after! So should be seeing around 230ishbhp in April! woooooo

Another Update

De-badged

Decided I didn't want the TURBO after all, looked silly on its own...

So as I'm writing this...

The car now stands booked in for the exhaust on the 2-3rd April, with the Remap on the 3rd.

Changed my mind on the dual exits and shall be sticking with just the one

I've removed the red on the wheel controls and they will be going black along with the dash.

Also need to change the back behind the gauges to just some plain black vinyl...

Hope you all like it...

Rate/Slate

[Edited on 22-02-2012 by martinlird]

[Edited on 23-02-2012 by martinlird]
sand-eel

22nd Feb 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

High compression pistons
martinlird

22nd Feb 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/vauxhall/acatalog/Corsa_VXR_Engine_Internals.html
Gareth T

22nd Feb 12 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good. have been looking at these myself. far cheaper than a vxr
VegasPhil
Premium Member

22nd Feb 12 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely cars. I want a D SRi.

Regal do loads of bits for these too

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
martinlird

22nd Feb 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys!

Yeah miles cheaper! Saved around £3k on the car compared to the same year and milage VXR, and around £2k on insurance

All the bits that fit the VXR fit the SRi too, which makes it a lot easier
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice project!
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the comments
Mark.W

23rd Feb 12 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking smart mate loved the D's,I did consider one of these myself before i got the astra.

what mpg you getting ?
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ermmmmm....do you want me to share that? haha

I'm getting around 23-5mpg at the moment. But driving very conservatively I can hit around 28-29mpg.

Doesn't help that I have to use 97+ RON in it aswell haha, But the remap should help the MPG abit.
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that exciting an update but....

De-badged

Decided I didn't want the TURBO after all, looked silly on its own...

andys sxi
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks nice plans sound good,

needs a set of vxr seats in there

April 08 feature car
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate

Yeah I wasn't sure what seats to put in :/ I'd like a set of fixed buckets, but with forward moving sliders, but don't know where to get them from :/

Just so I can keep the back seats
andys sxi
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look at demon tweeks in wrexham they will have what you need

April 08 feature car
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, I'll go down and have a word with them then, only like 30mins from us haha
NathanR

23rd Feb 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely car mate . Was going to split my C ands get one but changed my mind !

You know you said that its the exact same engine as the VXR ? VXR's have under piston oil squirters were as the SRI's dont .

Also how come your getting High Comp pistons ? Surely you want Low comp .

Awesome car tho pal dead jealous ! A good mate of mine had one , fully forged internals lots of other bits and bobs . Rolled about 250 BHP and 250 lb/ft tourque was quick to say the least !
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only the new A16 engine that has the under piston squirters mate the same year VXR will have the same engine

Well with just an exhaust and intercooler it should be good for 250bhp, with full forged he'll be running more than that very impressive figures can be gained from these engines when forged!

Yeah, sorry I didn't even click on when the guy above mentioned! Haha, low comp pistons with the turbo upgrade

Thanks for the comments though I do appreciate it.
NathanR

23rd Feb 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by martinlird
It's only the new A16 engine that has the under piston squirters mate the same year VXR will have the same engine

Well with just an exhaust and intercooler it should be good for 250bhp, with full forged he'll be running more than that very impressive figures can be gained from these engines when forged!

Yeah, sorry I didn't even click on when the guy above mentioned! Haha, low comp pistons with the turbo upgrade

Thanks for the comments though I do appreciate it.

Hmmm i was reading up on it on VXRonline and there was also a thread on here about it too back along saying about the differences in the engines . Not contridicting what your saying in anyway jus that every post ive read stating the differences in engines states that the VXR has under piston oil squirters .

Na my mates wasnt anymore than 250bhp dew to the turbo being knackered . Then the dreaded piston 4 said see ya ! He then spent 3k at regal having it fully rebuilt and forged . About a month later he split it and sold it lol . Hope you dont have any problems with P4 mate as its a common fault
martinlird

23rd Feb 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NathanR
Hmmm i was reading up on it on VXRonline and there was also a thread on here about it too back along saying about the differences in the engines . Not contridicting what your saying in anyway jus that every post ive read stating the differences in engines states that the VXR has under piston oil squirters .

Na my mates wasnt anymore than 250bhp dew to the turbo being knackered . Then the dreaded piston 4 said see ya ! He then spent 3k at regal having it fully rebuilt and forged . About a month later he split it and sold it lol . Hope you dont have any problems with P4 mate as its a common fault

Ahhhh, I may be completely wrong then. That was just what I believed, but it could possibly be true of all the VXR engines

Yeah P4 is a biatch I hope it doesn't happen to me as its a horrible though....does give me and excuse to forge the engine though haha But still an expensive problem! Hopefully, as I warm and cool the engine properly, I won't get it. As apparently its all to do with Thermal Shock on the Piston.
NathanR

24th Feb 12 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha i aint contidicting what your saying at all just that ive read countless threads of the differences and that what they have all said lol .

And yh i hope P4 doesnt fail on you as its an expensive problem to fix . However like you said would jus give you an excuse to forge .

Keep this thread updated pal , looking forward to seeing this come along
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Feb 12 at 06:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any reason why piston 4 fails more often?
martinlird

24th Feb 12 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I presume it's because of the inlet manifold?

Must just get hotter than the others, and Ive always presumed it must be because the shape of the inlet not giving an equal air distribution?

Just always seams to be p#4 that melts :-/

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » '08 Corsa SRi 1.6T 25 database queries in 0.0161562 seconds