corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Faulty Tyre - Where do I stand?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Faulty Tyre - Where do I stand?
Chris x

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was replacing a snapped coil spring on my girlfriends Grans 307 yesterday.

I noticed that the outside of the tyre had started to split, thought she may have hit something but there were no other signs of damage. Looked at the tyre on the other side and that had started to split in the exact same please so they are obviously faulty.

They were replaced at quick-fit in March last year and she has covered 5000miles on them (has the receipt). Took the car down there and they said they accept that they are faulty and will give her 25% off towards new ones.

They showed me a leaflet which states that if they are faulty they will:

Replace them free of charge between 0-3months
75% off between 3-6months
50% off between 6-9months
25% off between 9-12months.

Thought it was a bit off a piss take as they could have been like it for ages, they have hardly done any miles and there is no sign of damage.

Where do I stand legally? If it was a TV it would be replaced free of charge or repaired within a year. Not sure if the same applies?

Any info on previous experiences or if anyone is clued up with the law e.t.c. will be good!

Thanks!

[Edited on 23-02-2012 by Chris x]
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What make are they? They should be fit for purpose.
Corsasport-Jamie

23rd Feb 12 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going by what uv said ul only get 25% off new ones since there 11 nearly 12 months old! id be quick if your gona do something about it coz if it exceeds 12months your getting no money off! your call but i dont think theres anything you can do since you cant prove exactly when they split
Chris x

23rd Feb 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hankook.

Wasnt sure if there policy was set in stone or just a cover up and them getting out of replacing the tyre for free and hoping people will go along with it.

Will see where I stand and go and get the 25% on the 364th day, if I have too!

[Edited on 23-02-2012 by Chris x]
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The company I work for used to have Hankooks and they used to blister. I had one blow out on my at 50mph, so did a few other people I work with. Take it up with them.
Rob E

23rd Feb 12 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the shelf life date stamp on the tyre mate?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4778981_read-tire-date-stamp.html this link will tell you how to identify when the tyre was manufactured. A tyre has a shelf life of 6 years before it is deemed unsafe so if they have sold you out of date tyres you can take them to the cleaners
Chris x

23rd Feb 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have a look tomorrow! Thanks!
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kwik Fit are doing 25% off tyres atm so you'll get 25% off on top of that at the minute.

Its a fair guarentee, you've had 11 months use from the tyre, which is a consumable item in theory.
Archie
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E

http://www.ehow.com/how_4778981_read-tire-date-stamp.html this link will tell you how to identify when the tyre was manufactured. A tyre has a shelf life of 6 years before it is deemed unsafe so if they have sold you out of date tyres you can take them to the cleaners

Tyres are stock cleansed once a year, based on DOT code & size popularity.
Generation

23rd Feb 12 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're being pretty decent about it IMO
ShEp

23rd Feb 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
quote:

Not everywhere they're not.

Besides the point anyway, all tyre places will have claim forms.

You'll be asked to pay for another tyre, the old tyre will be retained by the fitting company and sent back to the warranty department of the manufacturer, They will in turn refund you a % of the tyre cost less the average mileage you have had out of the tyre etc...
Archie
Premium Member

23rd Feb 12 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
quote:
Originally posted by Archie
quote:

Not everywhere they're not.
Besides the point anyway, all tyre places will have claim forms.
You'll be asked to pay for another tyre, the old tyre will be retained by the fitting company and sent back to the warranty department of the manufacturer, They will in turn refund you a % of the tyre cost less the average mileage you have had out of the tyre etc...

The company i work for do (At least my branch)
Any replacement i've done is just the price minus the relevant discount dependant on age, tyre goes on a shelf, audiotor will come round every so often, check the faulty tyres and permit us to dispose them.

Depends on the company i suppose.
Nic Barnes

23rd Feb 12 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my bit is same as shep says
baza31

23rd Feb 12 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U sure spring hasn't been rubbing it on load? Id take their offer I think it's reasonable . If your tyre had 2mm they would still do deal . I think hankook are decent budget tyres , I've put them on loads of cars with no problem
Chris x

23rd Feb 12 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the spring had rubbed on the inner part of the tyre, the picture is outside of the tyre.

The other tyre is exactly the same.

Thanks for the info! Will see what they say!
Fonz
Premium Member

24th Feb 12 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i think they are being veyr fair as fitters to the tyre. i woudl take the 25% and be happy with it.

as for the tyre manufacturer i would be raising a claim, causing a fuss and insisting on some form of compensation.
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally takes a while but if the tyre is at fault you will get a percentage of the price of the tyre back from the manufacturer. It's pointless going off on one at the garage as its nothing to do with them tbh. Just get them to send it back for claim and await the outcome.
Nic Barnes

24th Feb 12 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kwik fit tbh are doing more than they have to IMHO

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Faulty Tyre - Where do I stand? 23 database queries in 0.0132582 seconds